Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Solenoid that operates the HWH slideout is getting warm/hot. Is this normal?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Do you make sure the HWH system is "Off" when not in use, like when driving or when you have the key in ACC but not using the HWH? Leaving the control panel on may keep the one solenoid on, but I would think it shouldn't. Which HWH system do you have? 725?

I was also kind of wondering if you are actually talking about the hydraulic solenoids that screw into a distribution header of the system and not the relays that controls power to the HWH system. There are two HD relays that control power to the system. The hydraulic solenoids are round and maybe 6-7 inches long. The relays are square and mine are attached to the round pump motor.
These are solenoids - left 1/4 of pic - mine still have the "T-handles" on them - newer ones I understand might not. But they are cylindrical.
IMG_3225.JPG

These are the control relays, strapped to the round pump motor.
IMG_3224.JPG

Pictures 2 & 3 are the solenoids that I'm talking about. If I understand your post, you're saying that these are not solenoids, they are control relays?

IMG_1919.JPG

IMG_1917.JPG
IMG_1918.JPG

Jim, a solenoid is a device that mechanically moves something and relay basically a device that uses a lower current to control higher current.
Anyway, there are contacts inside for the high current side that may be corroded or burnt from use reducing the contact surface causing resistance thus heat. I’d replace them.

Jim, a solenoid is a device that mechanically moves something and relay basically a device that uses a lower current to control higher current.
Anyway, there are contacts inside for the high current side that may be corroded or burnt from use reducing the contact surface causing resistance thus heat. I’d replace them.
Thanks for the explanation, @BGMAC . After a brief conversation with HWH yesterday, this seems to be acceptable. I have pretty much put this on the "I'm not going to worry about it" list. :)

Thanks for the explanation, @BGMAC . After a brief conversation with HWH yesterday, this seems to be acceptable. I have pretty much put this on the "I'm not going to worry about it" list. :)
Yes relays! They are made in different duty cycles. It is all about the coil. If you need to ever replace one just spec out 100%duty cycle for the least heat.

@Jim Yes, those are relays. My concern is why are they warm/hot when the system should be off. They should only get hot when current is flowing through them.
Do you have a pic of the HWH control panel you have?

Latest resources

Back