Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Reviewing the forums I realize I fit in this category so I may as well share my story. I bought my MH in 2017 on impulse missing my Air Force travels. I run a software business so all I need is an Internet connection and I can work from anywhere. My MH is setup with an office just like at my office and home office as I replaced my Jack Knife sofa with a 72 inch UpDesk. I started RVing with a yellow lab so she was my faithful companion who crossed the Rainbow Bridge this past March, sadly. I think RVing with the dog made things better as walking her forced me to get out and socialize with others. It also helped me explore campgrounds.

As to managing RVing solo such as parking, toad management, it's just what you know and nothing anyone can't do. There are times when you're expected to disconnect and then go to parking that sometimes needs tweaking such as getting a ride back to the toad or making an exception to unhook at the parking spot instead. Parking just takes extra attention to mirrors and cameras and I may have to get out and back in several times to be sure I survey the area, check clearances when areas are tight, etc. I guess it's like when I flew single seat fighters vs. crewed aircraft, you just acclimate as needed to get the job done. Probably because I was a single seat fighter pilot I think I probably do better without the passenger side brake pedal getting slammed.

Navigation seems to be another shared task in non solo RVing. I think it's important to have a good placement of your navigation device, I use a Garmin 770 that is eye level left of the wheel so I'm not looking down at my dash radio for navigation which it does have. My A-10 flying experience taught me keeping your eyes outside when reading a map, the same applies to keeping your navigation system in a location that your eyes are still on the road while cross referencing the GPS.

Lastly, prior to taking delivery of my MH that I ordered I remember asking my neighbors who had a Class C that my concern being single was that it would be a lonely experience. They said it was actually the opposite and I'd say for the most part that is true. RVing has been a very social experience especially when you share the lifestyle on a forum like this and make great friends you can coordinate to meet up with at times like we did for the pre and post Balloon Fiesta which was a blast to be with my Newmar peers. Several of us are going to meet up again in January in AZ and continue the great times together. I guess too there are great clubs out there such as Escapees/ers which I am a member of but have yet to participate in that would also help with the solo experience.

It's a great lifestyle, solo or not. Pets I think add to the experience and help avoid the loneliness of it.

My story, 2 1/2 years into it thus far.

Also solo here. Retired and always wanted a MH. Had no idea where I would go with one and always thought I could not afford one. One of my neighbors, who had been camping most of his life kept on bugging me to go to an RV show. Finally, he got me to his dealer to look at some. Of course, I was too weak to resit after sitting in them. Bought a trailer, easily affordable. Camped twice and decided I really wanted a MH. Figured out how to pay for a C, but always wanted an A. Four years later, I just ordered an A. My wife does not like camping or spending a lot of time in vehicles or on the road. Consequently, I am solo all summer. Some times it gets a bit lonely, but overall I cannot get enough.

I try to be as social as possible at campgrounds, and often meet new people. I am not into pets, but need to exercise daily, so everyone in the campground will at least recognize me after the first week. Happy camping.

Latest resources

Back