Winnebago
RV Model
Forza 34T
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Trailhawk
Fulltimer
Yes
We are just beginning this adventure into reinventing our lifestyle. It's been on the back burner for a few years, but now it's moving to the forefront of our plans. We are looking to go full time next year and have never owned an RV...other than "touring" them at local RV/Camper shows, we have never been in one! Crazy I know but we are looking for all the direction and input we can find and thought this forum would be a great place to start. We are pretty much set on Class A...and mostly set on diesel ...or so we think. Our goal is to travel the National Parks system so we are definitely looking under 40'. Suggestions and your experiences are most welcome. Native Texans looking for "what's around the next bend".

Welcome to RVForums.com @Sqwatch&Sqwatchi and thank you for becoming a RVF Supporter. I am excited for you, many of us here have been in your shoes and it's an exciting process. I hope you'll be in a RV soon and enjoy this amazing lifestyle, you'll love it. Ask any and all questions you may have, many here are eager to help. Welcome to the RV Lifestyle and RVForums.com.

you might want to rent an RV for a few trips before you make a purchase and change your lifestyle.

That's in the plans...trying to find "driving school" wouldn't feel safe renting one without ever having driven one. It's a catch 22...most instructors teach in your RV...don't want to rent one until we know how to safely operate it. Have found a person locally that would meet us at a rental and instruct in the rental...this may work. Thanks for the advice...by the way your RV is one of our favorites!

Welcome to RVF, @Sqwatch&Sqwatchi; glad to have you here. I second Neal's suggestion that you feel free to "ask any and all questions" here. The only "silly question" is the one you don't ask.

For traveling the National Park system, you are wise in staying under 40'. Something in the 34-36' range would be my suggestion. And, since many of our national parks are in mountainous areas, a diesel-powered Class A will provide the power and torque to tow a vehicle behind you quite well.

TJ

Welcome to RVF, @Sqwatch&Sqwatchi; glad to have you here. I second Neal's suggestion that you feel free to "ask any and all questions" here. The only "silly question" is the one you don't ask.

For traveling the National Park system, you are wise in staying under 40'. Something in the 34-36' range would be my suggestion. And, since many of our national parks are in mountainous areas, a diesel-powered Class A will provide the power and torque to tow a vehicle behind you quite well.

TJ
Thanks...that is exactly what we are thinking!

That's in the plans...trying to find "driving school" wouldn't feel safe renting one without ever having driven one. It's a catch 22...most instructors teach in your RV...don't want to rent one until we know how to safely operate it. Have found a person locally that would meet us at a rental and instruct in the rental...this may work. Thanks for the advice...by the way your RV is one of our favorites!
We tried a RV driving school, a nation wide service, and was very disappointed. Even though there were many positive reviews of this particular driving school, it turned out to be a sour experience and waste of time and resources.
My point is to be very careful with a RV driving school. Possibly a reputable truck driving course would be a choice, especially depending on your choice of RV. If you are thinking about a diesel pusher, I would recommend a truck school, i.e. air brakes, diesel unique operating characteristics. Best of luck.

You might consider a safety forum like RVSEF Home. We attended one of these during our first year of ownership and found it useful.

We tried a RV driving school, a nation wide service, and was very disappointed. Even though there were many positive reviews of this particular driving school, it turned out to be a sour experience and waste of time and resources.
My point is to be very careful with a RV driving school. Possibly a reputable truck driving course would be a choice, especially depending on your choice of RV. If you are thinking about a diesel pusher, I would recommend a truck school, i.e. air brakes, diesel unique operating characteristics. Best of luck.
We do have a JC near us that I believe offers a class for large rig driving...if they ever reopen it might be an option Thanks for the suggestion I hadn't thought of it.

Latest resources

Back