RV Length
36'
Chassis
Spartan
TOW/TOAD
Fiat 500 Turbo
Fulltimer
No
Was driving North up California on the I-5 (Spartan K2 chassis) and noticed that my steering wheel smart buttons were no longer working. I wasn't able to scroll through the data screens on my dash display, do anything with the nav/radio, adjust my steering, adjust pedals, or do anything with my windshield wipers. The only things that worked were my turn signals, hazards, and horn.

Pulled over at a Rest Stop I killed the engine, waited a minute or two, restarted, but no joy. None of the buttons worked. I then killed the engine, killed the salesman switch, and threw the two chassis battery breakers. Turning them back on and restarting fixed the issue as my steering wheel buttons started working again.

Anybody know a better way to reboot the controller for the steering wheel buttons? The only thing that concerns me when they lock up is the loss of any windshield wiper controls.

Best,
-Mark

Rebooting the device is a drastic step, and indicates a failure on the CAN BUS. Most likely the steering wheel device itself is the problem.You need to open a warranty case to get this replaced. This would be the 5 year warranty as it is provided by the chassis.

Went through that this spring on my older 09 K3 chassis, no amount of resets would work. After replacing all the controllers in the circuit at Spartans instruction, still had no steering wheel controls. Had to replace the actual steering wheel control pads and that finally got it all working. Expensive set of repairs though. I did find online a set of the control pads at less than half the price of Spartan and now carry them as spares.

Latest resources

Back