Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Splitting wood on interior drawers and tabletop.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

MCredman

RVF Newbee
I have a 2019 Grand Design Reflection 320mks , I have only had it three months but noticed after we had temps below freezing for only a week , this is in North Georgia. I noticed my drawers above fireplace were cracking at a seam it appears. Also looked around at all wood and saw the kitchen table was also splitting along what appears to be a glue seam running the length of table. I am thinking it is where the top was glued together using dowels or biscuit maker which I have one somewhere and biscuits for it. I have made table tops myself and have long enough clamps for this, but it is harder to get glue in a small crack than gluing when building a top or whatever. Is it common for this to happen this soon in these RV's. The wood is solid, so I am wondering if other factors are playing a role on this. This RV has a sealed and heated underbelly, I have already had to fix a Heat duct that had come loose cause they taped underneath with aluminum tape which is fine if you put screws in it first which is what I did after I went in under storage and removed partition to find the duct. It is my first RV, and I am planning to see the country in it and was not planning to work on it right off the bat. Anyone that has info that might be useful to me I would love to hear it. I am very resourceful and have wood working, plumbing and electrical experience I have repaired many things in my life by trial and error, so I'm not afraid to get hands dirty, Firsthand knowledge is a very good commodity to have , most times I am the giver however these RV's are a new critter to me and don't want to make a big mistake because I haven't asked or learned something before jumping in . I am a newbie and want to say hello to all you RV experts on this forum .

First, welcome aboard. As to is this common? Not sure I have read too much on this if any. Most shotty craftsmanship deals with just putting things together and cutting corners to move these systems off the assembly line to get out to dealers.

But anything is possible in cold weather when we get real cold then heat up again the next day to feel like spring again. I live in the south too and it is crazy how the weather changes.

Nothing in an entry level TT or 5th wheel is world class quality. They are a Coleman cooler on wheels with holes for leakage. Temp swings and humidity swings are the norm. That is why many have paper of plastic coated faces on the cabinets. They dont crack like glued up wood, even well done wood will crack with enough instability.

Latest resources

Back