RV Make
Forest River
RV Model
Cherokee 39RL
RV Length
39'8"
Chassis
Destination Trailer
2018 Cherokee 39 RL permanently blocked in a park. Delivered to site mid May this year and all the tires looked great although probably original. Blocked in four evenly spaced locations on the main frame rails as well as the tongue jack and all four leveling jacks extended just enough to take weight. Brought it up just high enough to take weight off the tires but still touching surface, as I've seen recommended in case a jack or block fails. Went to dump my black tank today and noticed one tire flat. Closer inspection and my jaw dropped. Owned many vehicles and several RV's but never seen a tire let go like this where the steel belts are blown outward and severed. Thoughts? Lightening? Aliens? Kid with a knife? Trailers never going anywhere as long as I own it, but I'll likely change out the tire for safety's sake....and because it bothers me.
20230816_153934_copy_1512x2016.jpg

Hard to tell from the pic, but all the rubber edges appear to be clean, cant make out much detail on the wire ends. I have a recent blowout on a steer tire to compare with and my wires are ragged and twisted/shredded. Yours are straight and appear cut to me.

I crawled under for a better pic. Whole face of the tire is blown out. I could see it if a weak spot and rolling down the road. But blocked and hasn't moved in 3 months? It definitely wasn't like that a few days ago.

Attachments

• 20230816_164828_copy_1512x2016.jpg
    20230816_164828_copy_1512x2016.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 13
I would venture to say that road damage occurred during delivery. Couple things. A bad pothole, bridge seem that’s off, or an object in the road that damaged the metal cord in the tire. That happed to me just a few weeks ago. I ran over something that damaged my tire so much it looked like a big pimple in the tread. If left to long it would of blown.

Had to replace the tire.

I had one recently, newest tire on my TT. Turned a corner at low speed only 20 miles into my trip and boom. Tire had maybe 2500 miles on it. It looked just like that.

I'm guessing if those are original tires (and made in China) then they were probably not rated for a "loaded" fiver in the first place. There are tons of stories about Marathons/Marabombs and other China brand tires on fivers blowing out during the first year of travel, let alone after being on a unit for almost 5 years.

I'm guessing if those are original tires (and made in China) then they were probably not rated for a "loaded" fiver in the first place. There are tons of stories about Marathons/Marabombs and other China brand tires on fivers blowing out during the first year of travel, let alone after being on a unit for almost 5 years.
No doubt they are cheap tires. I'd have to assume they at least met a minimum rating for the unit to pass for registration, but who knows how rigid that process is. I am intrigued though by the term "fiver". Have never heard it. 5 tons? Please enlighten me. 🤔

5er is nickname for a 5th wheel, I think FL-Joe assumed your rig is a 5th wheel

Ah...ok, that makes sense. Nope, this is our baby here. As you can see it's not moving anywhere soon. I have a new tire ordered, not the cheapest but yeah, probably still offshore, but it's just for the sake of having a tire there.
20230818_130925_copy_1225x1656.jpg

Latest resources

Back