Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Roamward Bound

RVF Newbee
I'm in an RV park in AZ for the winter, and use my phone's "hotspot" for my laptop, iPad & TV. Although not full, at least yet, the park has 400 spaces. I need/have to resolve this issue, as it is very frustrating, but I am experiencing a lot of buffering (way too much to deal with) on all mentioned devices, especially the TV. I've even had a movie just stop, near the end, and it would not come back on, no matter what I tried. I'm contacting Roku today, and hoping they will have the resolve for my problem, but thought I'd go ahead and throw this out here to see what others may have done to fix the problem. (I know I'm not alone.) Any & all comments will be appreciated. Thanks! - Gary

We use a dedicated phone and line for all our internet. I don't even bother with park Wi-Fi. The thing I found is the "unlimited plans" have service that slows to a stop when you reach their limit. We are set up to automatically add gigs anytime we hit the limit. Streaming is good but sometimes our phone bill hits 100.00. We have good service with Consumer Cellular using AT&T towers. Just for reference, you can use a gig of data for 1 movie.

Many on this forum have gone to Peplink cellular services to solve their internet issues. Most of these devices allow you to use cellular, WIFI & Ethernet as WAN inputs. As a general rule, RV park WIFI will not be adequate for streaming media, as you have already experienced.

What park are you at? We are in Brenda at Desert Gold, and park WiFi is sort of adequate for the laptop early in the morning. By 10 is slows to a stop. No way a movie could be streamed. We are looking into an alternative. Have considered Nomad, but it is real pricy. Going to check with our Verizon and see if we can just add gigs when we go over instead of getting throttled.

@Roamward Bound Roku is unlikely to be able to help you. They are just the movie provider, they don’t control the network used to deliver it to you.

depending on your budget and needs, there are a few solutions. However, none of them are perfect.

As was said earlier, many of us on this forum use Pepwave cellular modems. These are small, portable devices that take a cellular signal and turn it into a WiFi hotspot. Essentially, they are JetPack/MiFi devices on steroids. They are quite capable devices that can deliver home-quality internet. The challenge is of course finding a cellular plan to meet your needs.

There are many threads on this forum that discuss the topic in detail. Search around for them but feel free to send me a message and I would be happy to try and help you come up with a solution that is appropriate for your needs.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back