Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Suggestions for XLS 22MLE door lock replacement...

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Frank67

RVF Newbee
We recently picked up our 2022 XLS 22MLE. I had heard about the lack of security in the locking mechanism. At first, I did not believe it. No need to advertise the potential issue here. I was looking for a "keyless" entry lock replacement for the door. No problem, settled on a RV LOCK 4. That lock has pushbutton combination, key FOB and key options for entry. I immediately thought, "here we go again, keys". I called the manufacturer and asked about the security of the keys. They assured me that there was over 100 unique keys and that they are always adding more. The point of replacing the existing lock was to improve security. The idea of replacing the lock with one that includes a key lock that ONLY has 100 unique keys seems to me to defeat the purpose of the replacement.
Can anyone suggest a secure replacement for our existing door lock that will fit the existing opening and hole patterns?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Safe travels to all.

Question: did you come up with any other options?

I too wondered about this, so looking at a “2022 XLS 22MLE” online it appears to use the standard rv door lock as shown below.

Being somewhat new to RVs, I don’t really see any locks available that I’d consider as secure or quality made...at least not yet. Some reviewers on Amazon talk about broken/malfunctioning locks and being locked inside and/or outside their campers after just a few months of usage. 😬

Attachments

• IMG_1498.jpeg
    IMG_1498.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1499.jpeg
    IMG_1499.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 4
We almost purchased an MLE until we saw the 23LDE which has two doors. I went with Latch It all around. I purchased two keyless door locks (keyed alike) and barrel locks (keyed alike) for the front storage areas. We have had them on our unit since February and have had zero issues (inside or outside). Now, when we are done with our trip and place the unit in storage, I remove the batteries from the door locks as suggested in the instructions. Hope you can find the lock your need.

Amazon product ASIN B08HPH8QBM

Regarding security of key locks, IMHO in the RV world, you are looking to deter the opportunist thief or kids looking for trouble. One hundred key combinations should be adequate. Once past the standard RV Key that fit most RV locks, you should be fine.
If you are in a "high crime area" ( a RV is mobile, move) An aluminum door is not going to stop a determined, nor prepared thief.
A pry bar will make quick work of the aluminum door frame for someone that wants in.

The downside of high tech locking systems, a security lock will be a problem if the lock malfunctions and/or you lose your keys. A locksmith will have to be called to open the lock/drill it, $$$$.

As a landlord, I have learned security locks are a PITA....you always get the lockout call at the most inopportune times and you have to beg a locksmith with $$$$ if you can find them.

… I remove the batteries from the door locks as suggested in the instructions. Hope you can find the lock your need.

Amazon product ASIN B08HPH8QBM
Thanxx for posting about it, I've added it to my Amazon Wishlist for now. Good to know, as that’s the most common complaint (ie batteries) I read about on Amazon.

Regarding security of key locks, IMHO in the RV world, you are looking to deter the opportunist thief or kids looking for trouble..
Agreed and all good advice. I guess I'm just looking into the future and want to be as best prepared as I can be, in the event we had to leave our camper for an unforeseen time. (ie medical emergency, etc)

Well, that plus being a locksmith in my younger days. 😉

I’ve picked up the lock picking hobby out of necessity and being frugal.
Most locks I’ve learned are little more than a small speed bump to those with a little knowledge and skill.

Last edited:
I also keep an extra set of RV door keys in my truck safe just in case a lock out occurs. Because you never know.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back