RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Dutchmen
RV Model
31 FKDS
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
I've a bumper pull camper at a remote site and it might not ever be moved again. It seems it makes no sense to leave all the weight on axles/tires (and 4 corner leveling jacks). Would it not make sense to get all the load off the axles/tires, and have it distributed upon - let's say - 8 locations along the frame (4 leveling blocks along the frame on both sides)? I would think I'd save the new tires from flat-spotting, and, the camper would be more stable - less vibration. Any suggestions from anyone with any experience with this would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20191129_164736.jpg
    20191129_164736.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 5
I don't know about your specific unit, but trailers are generally designed to support their weight on the axles. We had a travel trailer destroyed by a falling tree years ago and, in looking at the construction, it was apparent that there wasn't much "frame" structure at either end. The stabilizer jacks are not really capable of "supporting" much weight. They merely provide stability.

You may be able to do what you propose, but understand that the structural components of a trailer are designed to support the weight carried primarily on the axles.

TJ

TJ - thanks VERY much for that - I do appreciate it. I'll look closer and again at the frame construction of my camper, but it appeared to me that the main, outside frame rails running the full length of the camper do not change in size, dimension, or consequently strength. I'd say the cross-members are the same from one end to the other as well. It appears - as an analogy - like the foundation of a house - equal throughout. Hence my thought and question: would it be 'wrong' to move the support of the camper from essentially the two axles, to, evenly distribute it across 8 well supported and level points along both sides of that frame. And yes, I know the scissors jacks are for stabilization and not structural support - in my proposal, they would be retracted and would not be utilized at all.

Attachments

• DSC03073.JPG
    DSC03073.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
  • DSC03089.JPG
    DSC03089.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • UNDERCARRIAGE - A- (1).jpg
    UNDERCARRIAGE - A- (1).jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 8
  • UNDERCARRIAGE - A- (8).jpg
    UNDERCARRIAGE - A- (8).jpg