Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

2009_Montana

RVF Newbee
Hello everyone - I’m having an issue with my 2009 Keystone Montana 5th wheels’s electrical system. I was boondocking for 5 days and using a generator with a Surge Guard model 34750 and had no problems. After a 100 mile drive and 3 blocks from home, I got a warning in the truck that said Trailer Wiring Fault and had no brakes on the trailer. Once home and parked I disconnected the 7-way to the truck and plugged back in. No more warning light. I didn’t check the brakes again as I was already parked and the wife was unloading. I tried to plug into shore power using the same surge guard (exact same setup the camper had been plugged into for a few months) only this time the surge guard said Reverse Polarity and tripped the circuit breaker. I tried a different branch circuit and same thing. I then unplugged the surge guard from the camper and only plugged into the same branch circuit but this time after the delay the green light came on and the voltage was normal.

Not sure where to go from here. I’m hesitant to plug directly into the camper without the surge guard. Any troubleshooting tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Assuming you're truck came with brake controller, the connection was interrupted (safety thing).

I wouldn't worry about the surge protector, likely a hiccup that won't reoccur.

Have you tried it again?

@Kevin D Pem - yes the truck has an integrated brake controller.

@Richpatty - Yep, tried it again just now. Even without the surge guard it tripped the breaker. I also turned off every breaker in the coach hoping it wouldn’t trip, then turn them on one by one to isolate the bad circuit, but it tripped with all circuits breakers off.

Sounds to me to be a transfer switch issue!

Have you tested the outlet with a multimeter?

@Kevin D Pem - I don’t think I have a transfer switch. My generator is external so when I’m plugged into that it’s thru the same cord/connection as would be with shore power.

Latest resources

Back