Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

CaloosaKid

RVF Regular
I would like to get a few suggestions on what you think is the best brand and model for a 50 amp surge protector for a new RV.

I just went thru this myself. I’ve always had units from Progressive Industries, and I’ve had good luck with them and their customer service is good too. I had a portable unit get fried and Progressive replaced it free of charge, even though it was way out of warranty, but I had to send the unit back to Progressive.

However, I recently purchased a hardwired Power Watchdog unit from Hughes, the same company that makes the famous autoformer. There are three features I really like about it. You can monitor your power usage and status via an app on your phone, all of the wiring connections are on the outside of the unit, and lastly, if the surge function gets fried, you can repair it yourself by purchasing a replacement surge module for about $30.

We use the Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X surge suppressor and like it. We prefer the portable unit that plugs into the RV park power pedestal for two reasons; (1) you can check all the power functions (voltage, ground, reversed ground/neutral, etc.) before you connect your coach and (2) you can easily bypass it if it gets fried doing its job (not so easy on a hard-wired unit). And, we carry a spare PI SSP-50XL just in case we have that problem.

TJ

We use the Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X surge suppressor and like it. ...

TJ

I use the Surge Guard 50A – Model 44270 surge protector. It also has all the LEDs on the unit, which I use to ensure I have good electrical service before plugging my coach into the pedestal. The units sells for just under $100 on Amazon. So, why the EMS-PT50X which sells for 4x the cost on Amazon when you can get all the same protection for a much lower price? We both have the Surge Guard ATS and Silverleaf, so we have high/low voltage protection, display of power usage, etc. Am I missing something? Why the need for something that so much more costly? Does it have additional useful features? Is the brand better (I think they are both good brands)?

Last edited:
I just went thru this myself. I’ve always had units from Progressive Industries, and I’ve had good luck with them and their customer service is good too. I had a portable unit get fried and Progressive replaced it free of charge, even though it was way out of warranty, but I had to send the unit back to Progressive.

However, I recently purchased a hardwired Power Watchdog unit from Hughes, the same company that makes the famous autoformer. There are three features I really like about it. You can monitor your power usage and status via an app on your phone, all of the wiring connections are on the outside of the unit, and lastly, if the surge function gets fried, you can repair it yourself by purchasing a replacement surge module for about $30.
Wow. I did exactly the same thing. You can't go wrong with either one.

I use the Surge Guard 50A – Model 44270 surge protector. It also has all the LEDs on the unit, which I use to ensure I have good electrical service before plugging my coach into the pedestal. The units sells for just under $100 on Amazon. So, why the EMS-PT50X which sells for 4x the cost on Amazon when you can get all the same protection for a much lower price? We both that the Surge Guard ATS and Silverleaf, so we have high/low voltage protection, display of power usage, etc. Am I missing something? Why the need for something that so much more costly? Does it have additional useful features? Is the brand better (I think they are both good brands)?
We don't have the built-in surge protection in our MADP; I think that was an option in 2018 and we didn't add it. I don't know if you are "missing" anything. We have long used PI products and have had excellent service (and, customer service) from them. I'm a firm believer that if something isn't broken you shouldn't fix it. ;)

TJ

We don't have the built-in surge protection in our MADP; I think that was an option in 2018 and we didn't add it.

TJ

You are correct. I just double checked the 2018 MADP brochure and sure enough, it was an option.

Could you let LadyDi know that I was "correct" at least once in my lifetime? :ROFLMAO:

TJ
Well ... the option had an MSRP of $637. Given the sales discount, I figure the optional actually costs around $446. Given that your pedestal based surge protection currently sells for about $300 more than mine, you're about $146 ahead of me. Now ... If you fry yours due to a surge, and replace it with a like unit, then I'll be ahead cost wise, but who's counting?

Bottom line, we both have something that works. BTW - I still a bit jealous that you got the new Garmin for your birthday. Mine birthday came and went about a week ago. Nothing. There's always Christmas ?

Latest resources

Back