Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tesla doesn’t recommend using a weight distribution hitch. How to reload the front axle in an EV. Pics.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Voyageurs

RVF Expert
Hi folks. As per the title, like many medium sized SUV’s tesla doesn’t recommend using a weight distribution hitch. For that matter our travel trailer manufacture also recommends against it. And to be honest we probably really don’t need one as the car only squats an inch at max. But of course one of the advantages of a weight distribution hitch is the ability to reload some of the weight onto the front axle.

So here comes the advantage of a vehicle with a frunk. (A front trunk). Our frunk isn’t huge but we managed to get about 115 pounds of “stuff” that we carry in there. We essentially selected the densest most heaviest items and put them in there. Tools, axe, various emergency items etc. The hitch weight is 340 pounds. And we carry about 100 pounds of other camping stuff in the back of the car. Little generator, chairs, barbecue etc. Although some of that is actually forward of the rear axle.

Bottom line is we were able to reload the front axle a little bit. The whole combo feels very solid and I’m sure the low centre of gravity of the car helps.

Just a note. For these lighter trailers used commonly behind electric vehicles one can measure their hitch weight by using a big guy bathroom scale. Or use the 1/3 2/3 method with a normal scale. My hitch weighs exactly 140 pounds more than me....except at Christmas. 😂 It’s 340 pounds.

Anyway, my contribution of the day for the EVers pulling trailers is that they consider loading heavy and dense items in the FRUNK. I’m not an expert on this stuff but it seems to be working pretty good for us.

Happy trails all.

A few pics.

The frunk.

C2B9E634-A0D3-4FFC-9BFA-1033B7A809BF.jpeg

The scale.

5131224E-729A-45EC-8184-D7F954A5F75B.jpeg

The combo.

B2E3686F-17A3-492B-BDA6-8EDA9DBE2BF3.jpeg

I would not be using a weight distribution hitch if the vehicle manufacturer doesn't recommend it. A WD hitch applies a high upward bending moment at the hitch receiver, several times more than the downward bending moment from a standard weight carrying hitch, and if the receiver attachment is not designed for it there could be damage to the unibody (or worse, to the battery pack!).

Does your tow vehicle even need a WD hitch? I would recommend weighing the tow vehicle and the rig to get more information about the axle load distribution.

I would not be using a weight distribution hitch if the vehicle manufacturer doesn't recommend it. A WD hitch applies a high upward bending moment at the hitch receiver, several times more than the downward bending moment from a standard weight carrying hitch, and if the receiver attachment is not designed for it there could be damage to the unibody (or worse, to the battery pack!).

Does your tow vehicle even need a WD hitch? I would recommend weighing the tow vehicle and the rig to get more information about the axle load distribution.
Good morning porterhouse. No. We don’t need or use a weight distribution hitch. Our load distribution is pretty good and part of that is because we load the Frunk a little heavier. (About 75 pounds now, a little lighter than before). Works well and we have very little squat on the back.

Hey, thanks for the post and for sharing info.
I'm looking at smaller campers like the one pictured in your post. Could you please share if you've had any issues with trailer sway? I hope to tow the trailer behind our Model Y and travel a lot of the country with my spouse and child. From other research it sounds like we'll be stopping about every 100-125 miles to charge... And that's alright.
Recently I came across a post on a different message board saying that towing big boxy, lightweight trailers with a vehicle like the model Y without anti sway weight distribution hitch is super risky and that they'd never dream of doing it. Obviously, it's easier to say stuff like that over your computer than it is to actually navigate the risks of life and still have a good time. So- 1. have you had ANY instances of trailer sway (with or without your frunk loading trick). 2. Is that about the range you've experienced (100-125 ish miles)? 3. What type of wh/mile are you seeing? I'd greatly appreciate any info... And sorry my reply to your post looks like you're the one saying all this... Thanks!

Howdy EVRV. We have never had a sway issue. We generally travel at max 90 kmh or slower depending on speed limit.

I have talked to anyone pulling a large boxy trailer so don’t know. I think the model Y is better suited to lower profile trailers as larger profile trailers would be devastating to range.

Tesla also doesn’t allow for weight distribution hitches.

Hope that helps.

Howdy EVRV. We have never had a sway issue. We generally travel at max 90 kmh or slower depending on speed limit.

I have talked to anyone pulling a large boxy trailer so don’t know. I think the model Y is better suited to lower profile trailers as larger profile trailers would be devastating to range.

Tesla also doesn’t allow for weight distribution hitches.

Hope that helps.
Thank you very much.

What trailer do you have? .
Thanks

Latest resources

Back