Dutchman
RV Model
Kodiak Cub
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
ford f250
Fulltimer
No
We have been told we would need to use RV toilet paper or Septic safe toilet paper. We are new to the RVing lifestyle. So, we just conduct a toilet paper test. We used Angel soft toilet paper which we use at home. We put some in a glass of water and in 30 mins it broke down to very tiny pieces. We are wondering since most trip may only be for three days that it will not be necessary to buy special TP for the camper. Has anyone conducted a toilet paper test. We were thinking that if you are out camping and run out of TP, most country stores probably will not have RV or septic toilet paper. What are your thoughts on this subject

There are many choices for septic safe TP at local stores. No sense in buying the RV specific paper at the ridiculous prices. I wouldn't use the normal TP. I have 45 years of RV'ing and have never had a black tank problem.

I have always been told not to use facial quality paper. Thank your test is a good one.

We have always used what we have at the house in the RV.

With 45 years RV camping and as many years in the RV & Boat business I have experienced or seen almost every problem one can have with black holding tanks & toilet paper. It depends a lot on the design and capacity of the holding tank system as to how well they will digest and dump the holdings. Also being stationary where everything drifts to the bottom and builds a big wad that clogs the little exit pipe versus being mobile sloshing everything around giving the paper a chance to break down and mix will play a big part on how easily it will exit the tank. The larger tanks with lots of liquids in the bottom before using will generally digest and dump with no problem. It’s like the college ft ball coach ask his new recruits, can anyone pass a ft ball? A big bulky kid from the Virginia backwoods stood and said, “coach if I can swallow it l can pass it”. That’s how most bigger rig’s with big tanks work.
Now small holding tanks will generally get less liquid mixed with the paper & solids giving less opportunity to break down. That is generally because the user is trying to conserve the small capacity. Design will be a major factor in how any black tank will dump its contents. If the tank connects directly to the external dump valve it will have less problems than if it has a distance or a bend before the valve that gives an opportunity for solids & undissolved paper to build up.
Macerater pumps are another animal. Most work great some are problematic. Some manufacturers have stopped installing them on some models. This could be too much pilot error or the nature of the beast.
With all said. You will probably only have to clean out your stopped up black tank once before you start using fast dissolving paper. In the business we call it “quick wipe”.

Latest resources

Back