Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

CMRobbins

RVF Regular
I am a new member, my 5th wheel is a 2020 Sandpiper 379flok Polar Tech Package. Last night we ran out of propane, and we have no running water - so I assume frozen pipes (got down to mid 20s, with high today of 32). We do have running hot water in bath sink and shower. I got propane in early morning and have had furnace running since (@ 12 hours).
Will pipes thaw out from the heater running? How long will it take?

Welcome to RVF, @CMRobbins; glad to have you join us here. And, sorry you are having freeze-up issues. Since you have gotten the heating system back into operation and some water is flowing in the bathroom, I think the frozen pipe section should thaw within a few hours...IF...the frozen section is in a heated area. If not, you will need to apply some heat. No open flames or anything like that. A hair dryer judiciously used to prevent overheating the PEX, or placing a 40W incandescent bulb (like a trouble light) in the area of the frozen pipe (if you can locate it) will be sufficient. Take your time; don’t overheat anything. Once water can start flowing past an ice blockage, it will melt quickly. Periodically try your faucets in other areas of the RV and if even a little water flows, let them run a bit to speed up the melting. Be sure to monitor all faucets left open to prevent flooding anything.

One thing I would be concerned with would be the integrity of the water system after it has frozen. Most newer coaches use PEX piping and it is fairly tolerant when it freezes, but the expansion of the ice can push fittings apart and result in a leak. Be sure you monitor your storage compartments and the underside of your 5th wheel for signs of water leakage. I think you should be fine, but don’t take any chances; check all areas where plumbing runs.

Good luck.

TJ

Welcome to RVF, @CMRobbins; glad to have you join us here. And, sorry you are having freeze-up issues. Since you have gotten the heating system back into operation and some water is flowing in the bathroom, I think the frozen pipe section should thaw within a few hours...IF...the frozen section is in a heated area. If not, you will need to apply some heat. No open flames or anything like that. A hair dryer judiciously used to prevent overheating the PEX, or placing a 40W incandescent bulb (like a trouble light) in the area of the frozen pipe (if you can locate it) will be sufficient. Take your time; don’t overheat anything. Once water can start flowing past an ice blockage, it will melt quickly. Periodically try your faucets in other areas of the RV and if even a little water flows, let them run a bit to speed up the melting. Be sure to monitor all faucets left open to prevent flooding anything.

One thing I would be concerned with would be the integrity of the water system after it has frozen. Most newer coaches use PEX piping and it is fairly tolerant when it freezes, but the expansion of the ice can push fittings apart and result in a leak. Be sure you monitor your storage compartments and the underside of your 5th wheel for signs of water leakage. I think you should be fine, but don’t take any chances; check all areas where plumbing runs.

Good luck.

TJ
Thanks @TJ&LadyDi for your very helpful reply. We haven't had a thaw yet, but are hopeful in a few days with some warmer weather to get water running again. I will watch carefully once that happens.
A concern for me now is how I get access to the pipes. The coach has an enclosed underbelly and the panels seem to be fixed not with screws or hex head fasteners, but rivets or something to the structural members.
Thanks again, Mike

Open all cabnets that have water lines and heat the RV. PEX is great but all fixtures may have problems after the thaw. For this reason be there for the thaw so you can react to anything that shows up.

In the future the easy way to keep water running is to keep a drip in all fixtures so water keeps moving in your system. Not much flow just a drip. Toilet is also a fixture. remember to open the gate valves for holding tanks or get a flood.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back