Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Pejibaye

RVF Newbee
We are planning a trip through New England and wonder if the area east of NYC (Connecticut to Rhode Island to Cape Cod) are wonderful enough to be worth the slog around NYC and through the congested roads of that area. We drive a 28' motorhome and tow a Kia Sole, but hate heavy traffic and rude drivers. Thanks for any helpful answers.

Not sure where you are starting, from the south I-81 to I-84 will take you west of NYC and a lot of the congestion.

We're starting from Knoxville, driving through Scranton (probably) and the goal is the Maine coast. I've only missed three US states in my life: Oregon (not on THIS trip!), Vermont, and Rhode Island. Question: is it worth driving past NYC, along the small roads past Middletown, to go through Rhode Island and to Cape Cod? Our Phoenix Cruiser is not tall (under11'), but we just don't like fighting traffic, narrow roads, rude drivers, etc. etc.

You will have to deal with some rude drivers but I find that everywhere, just don’t be in a hurry and enjoy the scenery. Stay off Parkways which are cars only. Boston area is congested but once north of there beautiful On way to Maine.

I lived in NY area for 20 years and drove the route from Georgia many times as our son went to college there and stayed.

We have made the trip up the east coast many times. Mostly we use I-81 North then RT84, or RT90 or NYS Thruway depending on destination. I 95 along the coast of NY, CT, RI is doable but expect heavy traffic and delays. Be aware that back roads have many low clearance issues. We have always stayed on established truck routes or interstates when transiting the Northeast. Research your routes thoroughly and expect surprises. It is also nice to know just how much room you need to make a U Turn. In our case with a Toad, it is about 4-5 lanes of road depending on road width. Basically a no-go in most places in the NE. Also we have found that when the Snow Bird herd is migrating, finding a camp spot along the major thoroughfares on this route can be a challenge.

Latest resources

Back