Borzoijay

RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Airstream
RV Model
Interstate 24 GL
RV Length
I am troubleshooting the inoperable Fiamma awning on my new-to-me Airstream. When I test drove the Airstream I heard a very faint "beep, beep" while the engine was running, that neither my wife nor the gentleman seller could hear. I heard it and the lady seller could hear it. They stated that the shop had looked for the source, but could not locate it. I used the crank to roll out the awning because it would not extend with its motor nor would it retract with the motor. I noticed that the little switch at the motor end of the awning was deformed. When I had my wife push that switch by hand with the engine running, the "beep, beep" stopped and started again when she released it.

I straightened the switch and reinstalled it so the beep, beep is solved, but the awning motor still does not operate. I measure voltage at the extend/retract switch under the passenger seat, although it seems somewhat low (about 11 V.) I have probed the power wires (blue and red) to the motor for the awning and when my wife operates the switch, I get 13 V at the awning motor (the airstream is plugged into shore power), but the awning motor does not run. I can hand-crank the awning without difficulty, so I have shade. Here in Colorado, it is night and 12 degrees as I write this query so having shade is not an issue, but I'd like to get the awning to work.

My initial gut feeling suggests that the awning motor is shot. However, before I just order a new motor assembly, I want to test the control box to be sure there is not a different (simpler?) cause for the motor to not operate. Where is the awning control box located in this Airstream so I might check it out?

Final question: Am I on the right track towards making the awning operate as it should? Suggestions?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back