Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Before OSHA, no Safety strap, yikes! And who took this picture?? How did he get down, ride the crane hook? WTC Antenna

1712149579630.jpeg

When visiting the Arch last year we noticed a lot of the same thing. When they put the last section in place, people were under the work area watching. Smoking up top while working, a lot has changed.

I did a lot of things up high in the old days, it scares the hell out of me now just thinking about it. Walking beams up high, all kinds of ridiculous stuff.
When they started making us wear safety harnesses in scissor lifts and boom lifts we were all mad about that. It was later that I learned about people who had leaned over the rails and fell to their death, or caught a boom lift with too quick of controls which had just thrown them out to their death.

Young and thought I was bulletproof.

When I stopped on the way home from Florida last year and did that outage at the chemical plant I told the boss "I'm 67 years old, I don't climb and I don't wear a safety harness, if that's a problem I'll leave now."
He said "You're already retired? No problem, you'll stay close to the ground, I've got lots of ways to use your experience that doesn't involve being up high."

I still get on the house occasionally but that’s about it for me.

Think about the guy who took the picture. He was probably hanging way out curling his toes around a beam to take that shot ;-)

I'm thinking tele lens from a helicopter, judging from the grainy pic. Could be a zoomed-out phone camera, too.
I used to do that kind of stuff. Free-climbed all my towers, just used the belt at the working level. Been up to 450, and at 400 for 12 hours, but never as high as that guy.

Roger

Remember this is likely in the 70s when phones were used to make telephone calls😂

When men were MEN.

IMG_1343.jpeg

I think they were called The Real Man. Now boys are forced to have feelings 😂

Latest resources

Back