Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Today I attended a KIB discussion about the KIB electrical systems.
The transfer switch in our DutchStar with its integrated surge protector tests for BOTH high voltage and LOW voltage. Power is stopped if voltage is outside of “normal range “.
Makes the Autoformer I purchased redundant.
John Brown at KIB spent some time with us this morning, after we reinstalled the BIRD solenoid, making sure all the KIB programs were updated in the DutchStar.
Since our 2024 DutchStar is equipped with the Li Ion package, we have the Silverleaf system.

Great seminar.

I wouldn’t say the autoforner is redundant because where would you rather have the failure inside or outside the coach?

If it was me outside because it’s easier to get the autoforner fixed and going again. The other way may require replacing the transfer switch which might be more involved.

Good point.

To add to @sheridany, also concur it's not redundant. For example mine is in between the cord reel and transfer switch. The Autoformer's purpose is to boost low voltage and also provide brown out protection. If you're in a low voltage scenario where your ATS may cut out, the AF may help prevent that. It's also another level of protection to keep from having to replace a ATS although I've never heard anyone having to do that. I only have a half dozen surge protectors between the pedestal and my ATS, or something like that :)

better off dead GIF

x3. The pedestal ATS is the sacrificial lamb.

I wouldn’t say the autoforner is redundant because where would you rather have the failure inside or outside the coach?

If it was me outside because it’s easier to get the autoforner fixed and going again. The other way may require replacing the transfer switch which might be more involved.
I agree as my transfer switch in my 21 Ventana went bad on a trip over the summer. Had no power when using the generator, only when plugged in. Brutal heat that day and no house ac when driving. Was happy I could plug in and get AC at my next stop. I could not imagine blowing the whole transfer switch. Better to have a sacrificial part. I have the autoformer and the power watchdog inline.
Between those, the water softener and the double filter system I think I am covered lol. Anything else I will need a trailer to haul :ROFLMAO:

Latest resources

Back