Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Thinking about gas prices and weather to use regular or premium fuel in my gasser RV

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
If I don't feed my 8.1L Vortec 91 Octane she's not happy. Not worth the trouble IMHO
Some food for thought based on my experience as an ASE master mechanic since 1974.

The Ford v10 uses an electronic control system which on the first indinication of ping will retard the timing. This will happen nanoseconds after the ping, long before the human ear can distinguish it.

Premium fuel has additives on it to raise the self combustion point, reducing its tendency for preiginition,( ping). Lower octane fuel has a lower point. Premium fuel does not contain more Energy than the lower octane fuels only that temperature at which self combustion occurs.

The v10 was designed to operate on lower octane fuels.

So do this, scan the engine while driving on the lower octane fuel and graft the advance. If the ECM is not retarding the timing there is no need for the more expensive fuel.

Case: I run my 2019 Georgetown GT5 at 70 and constantly get around 9 mpg. But I don't horse it on the hills, keeping the RPM to around 3800 to 4000. And I use Costco lower grade fuel. Save money using Costco and on not using Premium.

Another thing, Premium leaves move deposits on valves and pistons which rob your engine of power. This is why almost all the good grade fuels have an additive to clean the injectors and engine operating.

Latest resources

Back