Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

FYI Thinking about the steep learning curve moving up to a DP .....

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
The obstacle at the fuel island was low, less than 2’ high and I was watching a sign above it easily visible in my mirror that I though stuck out further, so I figured as long as I was clearing the sign I’d be ok. I was wrong and I also could have used the side cam to verify clearance, but by then I was a little wound up after someone pulled a car into the only outside diesel lane as I was lining up for it, got out and went into the store without even beginning fueling, and after what seemed like 10 minutes but was probably a bit less, I decided to use the inside lane which was tight but I would have fit and it would have been fine if I had taken my time and been…patient.

I was fairly prepared for a DP when I bought mine because I drove fire apparatus for over 35 years without incident including a 10 wheel 45’ ladder truck for several years, (100’ ladder), 10 wheel 4,000 gal tank trucks (water tenders), and city fire engines that are similar to a DP, even some rear engine models. But the big difference between a fire engine and a DP is that you sit quite a bit further back from the windshield, and further in from where the drivers door would be in a DP. So visibility out front and on the drivers side is not nearly as good in a DP and that took some getting used to. Also driving fire apparatus was usually an expedited effort and I had to unlearn that, slow it down, and get used to taking my time.

Latest resources

Back