• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

kimrpaige

RVF Regular
Hello All,
I am a newbie to this site and I am hoping someone can help me decide on what to buy. I am a 68 year old married man retired in S. Daytona Florida. I am thinking I want a small class A like under 32 foot, or even a similar sized class C. I want used but not too old or used, thinking max budget around 80K. lots of used on CL and marketplace but older like 2003 some with low mileage. I have been a mechanic all my life but would prefer not to have to be one again. Wondering also what tranny is the best with the Ford V-10, either 5 or 6 speed? Workhorse with Allison seems to be well liked. I saw a pretty new (2020) Fleetwood Flair 29M and fell in love with it, wondering what is the best 29-32 foot small Class A. I know its a lot of ??? but I am just starting my research. Thanks, Kim

If your all-in budget is $80k then don't pay $80k for a used diesel pusher (or a gas burner for that matter) because there is always something that needs to be fixed or replaced or maintained. Leave yourself a cushion. RV tires are usually replaced by TIME not MILES. So, it's possible that the tires on a 2003 even with low miles need to be replaced. The rule of thumb is between 6-10 years depending on which brand of tire and who you talk to. Have you priced six 22.5" tires yet???? :oops:

When picking out which RV to buy, look at the floor plan and imagine yourself in it. Sit on the couch and see where the TV is. Do you have to turn your head 90 degrees to see it? That won't be comfortable. Is the dinette big enough to get into? Depending on your waist size this may be an issue. Same for the shower. Get in it and see if you can raise your arms to wash your hair without knocking the door open. ? Some showers are pretty small.

Good luck!

EZ, Thanks for the reply, I understand about tire age as I have motorcycles and 7 years is my max. There are a lot of nice low mileage 06-08's for lots of $$$ less than a newer one, I figure the money saved can be banked and kept to repair whatever. The other thing I was wondering is the Natural Parks rules, I heard they are trying to limit to 10 year old or newer, not sure how many parks I'd be visiting anyway, LOL What's your opinion about extended warranties from like Good Sam?

You received some very good guidance from EZ! Your budget is pretty slim for a diesel pusher in great condition. Remember that in a 15-year-old coach, not only are tires likely to be aged out, but batteries too. And appliances such as water heater, refrigerator, stove, washer/dryer (if included), etc. will be reaching the end of their design life. The cost of replacing them can mount up quickly.

As for the 10-year rule, as long as the physical appearance of the coach is good, you won’t have any problems. I saw some 10-12 year-old coaches at a repair facility today that looked better then they did when they rolled off the production line. And no one looking at they would ever be able to guess their age. OTOH, a coach with faded paint and an overall scruffy look (even if it is just 5 years old might get you some flak from park owners. Keep it looking good and you’ll be fine.

TJ

EZ, Thanks for the reply, I understand about tire age as I have motorcycles and 7 years is my max. There are a lot of nice low mileage 06-08's for lots of $$$ less than a newer one, I figure the money saved can be banked and kept to repair whatever. The other thing I was wondering is the Natural Parks rules, I heard they are trying to limit to 10 year old or newer, not sure how many parks I'd be visiting anyway, LOL What's your opinion about extended warranties from like Good Sam?
I bought a 2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador. We love it. And it was $250,00 cheaper than a new one! I got it for $60,000 but I have added a residential 'fridge, new A/C units, new batteries, rebuilt the captain's chairs with closed cell foam and covered with ultra leather, replaced all the original carpet with luxury vinyl tile all the way through including the entry steps. Now it looks like brand new inside!! I may have spent $20k but I'm still $225,000 ahead of a new one!! ?

Attachments

• IMG_1160.jpg
    IMG_1160.jpg
    873.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1332.jpg
    IMG_1332.jpg
    894.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1328.jpg
    IMG_1328.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1318.jpg
    IMG_1318.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1312.jpg
    IMG_1312.jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1335.jpg
    IMG_1335.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 25
Very nice, I am looking online at a 2006 Damon Intruder with 9,000 miles, tires are about 6 years old, very nice condition for 40K, and a 2005 Gulfstream Sun Voyager with 4 slides, and 20,000 miles also at 40K listed with new batteries and tires. Both 38 ft or so, may be larger than I need/want.

I live over in Deland and purchased an '06 Newmar Dutch Star 4023. I love this thing. Looked around for quite awhile before making a decision to purchase this coach. Here's a web site to check out it's where I found my coach, RVT.com. Just set your perameters and see what they have. Mine was a Central Florida RV Center in Apopka. Good luck be thorough with your inspection...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back