Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

gfmucci

RVF Regular
Here is my premise: That the quality issues Thors are famous for are likely less of an issue with class B camper vans.

Here is my reasoning: Most Class B camper vans exteriors are built by the chassis/ drive train manufacturer, correct?

Travel trailers, Class A and Class C RVs, except for the bare bones chassis, are totally fabricated by the RV manufacturer, whether Thor, Winnebago, Tiffin, etc. This includes floor, walls, roof, windows, exterior doors.

With a B, the chassis/drive train manufacturer designs and makes all of these ingredients. The RV company has little or nothing to do with over 50% of what comprises a Class B RV, unlike all the other types.

So, can it be assumed that the "quality" playing field is equalized to some extent with camper vans? And the innards, if something isn't right, is easier to fix than the roof, walls and floor would be.

Your thoughts on my observations, please.

You may have a point to some degree but you may be over thinking. All will have issues as you travel. Yes I visit the RV shop some and I just had a recall on the E450 addressed at a Ford dealer. It can be a challenge to for a Ford dealer that can handle a Class C as well. I’ve never owned a Class B but I think you will still visit both as well, RV shop and dealer possibly.

I think it comes brown more about what you want in an RV. Class B you can go any where pretty much your car goes. We like the sound of that for exploring the country. We wanted a little more room inside.

We landed on a C , from a fifth wheel for something more simple to drive and set up. So far both are true. We considered an A but I could not see having more rig, weight and the same engine as the E 450 has. Diesel is the way to go in an A but I did not want the maintenance cost on a diesel, not to mention the higher cost up front.

The Class B yes is build on the chassis and little or no modifications on the chassis. I guess that can be a benefit. If it is a concern to you that a RV company builds out the rig then a B may be good for you.

We had warranty work from both since owning ours both were no issue, just visiting two places.

Good luck on your search.

Latest resources

Back