Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

New2RVing

RVF Regular
Hi everyone. I am new here. I have been looking at Class B units for about a month. I am most interested in RVs that are about seven to 10 years old. It will be for a 15,000 mile trip, by myself (a very experienced tent camper), through northwest canada and alaska. I would love to hear thoughts on the best overall class B for a trip like this.

Hello @New2RVing - I don't have any experience with the Class B's but just wanted to welcome you to the site. Thanks for joining.

Thanks neal! I should say i am also a mechanic by trade, so comfortable with all things mechanical and electrical

We looked at and test many different B class ... and just could not see enough of a difference to adjustify the huge variations in price. So in the end we purchased a 2021 Thor Tellaro because we liked the layout and we could get it new for $85K. Here we are two months in and have no regrets ... yet.

We looked at and test many different B class ... and just could not see enough of a difference to adjustify the huge variations in price. So in the end we purchased a 2021 Thor Tellaro because we liked the layout and we could get it new for $85K. Here we are two months in and have no regrets ... yet.
Thank you! Great info! I am looking at everything...i suspect much as you did. You have helped!

I am new to this forum but have been camping for over 60 years, from tent, popups, travel, Class A, and now a Class B (oops, just dated myself).

When evaluating our B ... I ...

1st started with the layout ... does it make sense to be in there for an extended time.
In this section, I wanted an inductive cooktop (reducing propane inside the coach), a compressor-style frig, and a better water heating system.

2nd, do you want to make a bed every night? It doesn't take but 3-5 minutes so that was not a big deal for me.

3rd, as storage space is somewhat limited, organize your thoughts first where things would go (relates back to step 1)

4th, I have owned many personal vehicles (new to antique) ... which chassis do you feel most comfortable with? My son is a Mercedes mechanic, and as well "documented" as they are ... they have some design issues. Ford, is well received but also has its "issues". Dodge has been reported to have some steering concerns (although I cannot confirm and will let others jump in on that). To the others that might respond ... I do not like to point out problems ... but rather concerns or issues ... as they all have some.

5th, WARRANTY ... yes, it is key. Most of the manufacturers provide a 1-year coach warranty ... investigating further, these are usually NOT transferrable.

Finally ... we chose an American Coach Patriot MD4 because it offered legal seating for 7 ... the bed can be made up each night. While happy with our choice. I might have gone with Pleasure-Way (we just couldn't locate one that met our needs).

The used Class B market is pretty tight.

We looked at a BT Cruiser and a Lexington.. Both were priced in the upper-30s used,

Take a look at Cruise Americas used Thor 19G.

I also tried the used market and just could not stomach the smells, the lack of cleanliness, and so many issue (broken stuff) ... and they still wanted big money. No Thank You, I would rather take a 25K (79k-25k = 54K estimate sale in 2 years) hit on my New Thor Tellaro in a couple of year than to deal with the above stuff.

I am new to this forum but have been camping for over 60 years, from tent, popups, travel, Class A, and now a Class B (oops, just dated myself).

When evaluating our B ... I ...

1st started with the layout ... does it make sense to be in there for an extended time.
In this section, I wanted an inductive cooktop (reducing propane inside the coach), a compressor-style frig, and a better water heating system.

2nd, do you want to make a bed every night? It doesn't take but 3-5 minutes so that was not a big deal for me.

3rd, as storage space is somewhat limited, organize your thoughts first where things would go (relates back to step 1)

4th, I have owned many personal vehicles (new to antique) ... which chassis do you feel most comfortable with? My son is a Mercedes mechanic, and as well "documented" as they are ... they have some design issues. Ford, is well received but also has its "issues". Dodge has been reported to have some steering concerns (although I cannot confirm and will let others jump in on that). To the others that might respond ... I do not like to point out problems ... but rather concerns or issues ... as they all have some.

5th, WARRANTY ... yes, it is key. Most of the manufacturers provide a 1-year coach warranty ... investigating further, these are usually NOT transferrable.

Finally ... we chose an American Coach Patriot MD4 because it offered legal seating for 7 ... the bed can be made up each night. While happy with our choice. I might have gone with Pleasure-Way (we just couldn't locate one that met our needs).
Thanks for the details! I have been looking at pleasure way and winnabego. I will be driving to alaska, so i think mercedes is not the chassis for me—i need to be sure someone there has tools and understanding of the equipment. Your point is well taken.
Thank you!

Latest resources

Back