Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

LeonFamily6

RVF Newbee
Anyone have any ideas for tire monitor system? My new rv came pre-wired for the Lippert tire monitor. I find mixed reviews on the different sellers websites. Can’t always trust bot reviews. Is the Lippert system decent? This is my second travel trailer. My first was recently totaled after my last road trip. Vehicle vs. the road and bent the frame. No injuries. But over the last three years, only had one tire failure. Caused very little damage but I was lucky. I see so many trailers pulled over absolutely destroyed by tires. Any help and insight is appreciated.

Anyone have any ideas for tire monitor system? My new rv came pre-wired for the Lippert tire monitor. I find mixed reviews on the different sellers websites. Can’t always trust bot reviews. Is the Lippert system decent? This is my second travel trailer. My first was recently totaled after my last road trip. Vehicle vs. the road and bent the frame. No injuries. But over the last three years, only had one tire failure. Caused very little damage but I was lucky. I see so many trailers pulled over absolutely destroyed by tires. Any help and insight is appreciated.

You should put your rv and tow vehicle in your signature, it helps to answer questions.
Apparently you have a travel trailer and I don't understand how a travel trailer is prewired for a tpms.
I bought a tst507 tpms years back after I blew a tire and it took out the side of my Windjammer travel trailer. I moved it to my Montana fifth wheel and it saved me on that when I had an overheated tire due to a bent axle.

Then I moved it to the Monaco and bought 4 more sensors since the Monaco has 8 tires. After being told here and other places I really should put the sensors on my Silverado toad, I bought 4 more sensors for a total of 12.
Those Silverado sensors saved me when I had a tire get up to 180 degrees at Tampa due to a dragging front disc brake. I wouldn't have known about the condition if not for the sensors and would probably have continued until I blew a tire.
This is what I have.

$323 with 4 sensors.

You should put your rv and tow vehicle in your signature, it helps to answer questions.
Apparently you have a travel trailer and I don't understand how a travel trailer is prewired for a tpms.
I bought a tst507 tpms years back after I blew a tire and it took out the side of my Windjammer travel trailer. I moved it to my Montana fifth wheel and it saved me on that when I had an overheated tire due to a bent axle.

Then I moved it to the Monaco and bought 4 more sensors since the Monaco has 8 tires. After being told here and other places I really should put the sensors on my Silverado toad, I bought 4 more sensors for a total of 12.
Those Silverado sensors saved me when I had a tire get up to 180 degrees at Tampa due to a dragging front disc brake. I wouldn't have known about the condition if not for the sensors and would probably have continued until I blew a tire.
This is what I have.

$323 with 4 sensors.
Thank you very much sir. Brand new to these forums. Thank you for the advice. I will add my tow vehicle and trailer to my future posts. My trailer is a Grand Design travel trailer. It is pre-wired with a Lippert TPMS. The Lippert TPMS has a booster/extender that is hard wired into the trailer electrical system. The other systems use alligator clips to connect to battery. It is a permanent mount.

Guys -- Grand Design and others are shipping RVs with the tire monitor inside the tire just like your car/truck. He doesn't need TST or Easy tire. I wish I could help you since I had to buy a separate TPMS system but there is talk about these on the Grand Design Forum about the sensor that comes from the factory.

I have the same system as "Fish," for my coach with 6 tires on the coach and 4 on my toad.
I was so impressed that I bought another system for my Brides daily driver car.
Although it takes a while to get the tires within 2 pounds the monitors give peace of mind on the highway.
When driving on hot days you will notice temperature changes from where the sun shines to the shaded side. The temperature will effect the pressure from sun to shade also.

Just my 2-cents thrown in. We have full time traveled in 3 fivers, a 37’ gas coach, a Newmar 43’ tag axle DP, and now a 32’ TT toy hauler. On two of these RVs the OEM tires were not rated to handle the weight once loaded. That required me to immediately upgrade the “new” tires.

I started almost 12 years ago with a TST system. At one point I towed a long enclosed trailer, was over 76 feet long and monitored 10 tires with the expanded TST system.

I would never run any RV across country without a TPMS. I have never had a tire failure on the road. My only issue in almost 100,000 miles of RV traveling was 2 failed valve stems. The TST system warned me in advance and it was no problem.

Latest resources

Back