• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tire pressures experience

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I have a set of those but they are only rated to 3500 for each pad. I have an old air force set of load cells that mount on jacks. I have some 9500 lb helicopter jacks that may fit under the axles of the rig so I can weight one at a time.

If you can get past the "Persona" of this guy, the information he provides is useful for using a CAT scale for a four corner weight. Skip to 3:00 for the CAT scale section.

Now my wheels are turning on how to build a fixture to use my load cells. I have a buddy with an amazing fab shop that will help me. I figure I can use my jacks to raise the coach to slide the scales under each wheel and block the others up to keep the coach level. Doing the rears with the tag axel would be problematic using a truck scale. As I am thinking of all of this though I can't help but wonder how important it really is. What is the tangible benefit of knowing the exact weight of each corner when it changes constantly as you cruise and burn fuel and carry different water levels, gear and passengers? There are just so many variables to consider. I think of trucks for instance. Their loads vary wildly, are the truckers adjusting their pressures based on their load?

Its not crucial and you can use 1/2 the axle weight plus 10% to account for variation. Doing four corner weighing allows you to use the lowest pressure possible allowing the best ride while remaining safe. On trucks its not that much of an issue because a tire failure usually just means a little down time - a coach a tire failure can be disastrous. Which is one reason we don’t run retreads either. I would think truckers run at max pressure all the time to allow maximum loads and they don’t care if it rides rough when empty or lightly loaded. Also note that only the RV inflation charts have data for individual tires. The truck charts are per axle.

I would say that only a small percentage of RV owners weight all corners, most don’t weigh at all, and probably the vast majority don’t even think about it. Its just us fanatics that go to such lengths. But since Michelin publishes inflation charts for RV usage, I try to get as close as possible. You have a smoother ride with IFS so its less of an issue for you.

With individual tire weights with a 85% full fresh tank and a full fuel tank I run at 90lbs on all 6 tires in the back and 110lbs on the front. Actually Newmar suggested 85 in the rears and 105 up front but I increased it later figuring I added extra weight since then.
On hot days my steer tire pressures will increase to 129lbs and rears around 110lbs.
On the second visit to the mothership a few months after factory pickup, Newmar will conduct the individual weights for free.

I have been running 90 on the rear and 110 on the front. Temps rise to 125 F and pressure to 130+
The rears temp increase to 115F and pressures go to 104 with the tag axel tire temps run 5 F hotter but pressures only go to 104. This is running in 70 F ambient temps this spring. We will see what happens when we start hitting the mid nineties later this summer. I just want the damn instrument screen to stop the warnings. I am still looking for what I need to program the high and low thresholds.

I have been running 90 on the rear and 110 on the front. Temps rise to 125 F and pressure to 130+
The rears temp increase to 115F and pressures go to 104 with the tag axel tire temps run 5 F hotter but pressures only go to 104. This is running in 70 F ambient temps this spring. We will see what happens when we start hitting the mid nineties later this summer. I just want the damn instrument screen to stop the warnings. I am still looking for what I need to program the high and low thresholds.
May have changed but to my knowledge, there's a programming tool you can purchase from Valor to change the settings. Your dealer should also have this tool. I choose to ignore the constant warnings. Not a fan of the Valor system

I had been watching this tread to see if there really was a way to actually change the useless SoartanLync TPMS warnings.

I bought 2x 20k weight scales and do 4 corner each major trip. I do cheat and after chocking other wheels lift the cornet up on the leveling jack 3” off ground and slide the scale under. Use both for rear and tag each side.

The SpartaLync TPMS system is a total PoS. Ours has never been trustworthy. Most trips I am lucky to get 3 or 4 tires to read at once, never the same ones. Totally random. Totally unreliable. Total untrustworthy. This should really be a lawsuit. After 6-8 reprogramming, antenna moves and other attempts our Freightliner Elite Oasis shop just tells me “these never work”. We paid for this junk and now we can pay SpartanLync for a tool to make junk not be so annoying every hour? BS.

FCCC issued a recall for all these issues that was Federally mandated but ignored most of us. It is not just XC chassis also covers M2, SL. Has never been resolved.

TPMS is a DOT Requirement on all vehicles for 10+ years. Some states Require atPMS to be functional at annual inspection

We need to make noise.

Wake up Newmar!! Casey Tubman Stand up for us.
Wake up Daimler - Freightliner
Wake up Spartan

NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V379000
Manufacturer Daimler TrucksNorth America, LLC
Components TIRES
Potential Number of Units Affected 2,549

Summary​

Daimler Trucks North America, LLC (DTNA) is recalling certain 2017-2022 FCCC XC Chassis vehicles. The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) may report incorrect information, such as temperature and pressure values, on the instrument cluster

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back