Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

keithpacearrow

RVF Regular
I have replaced front 2 tires that are 1/10" bigger than original ( bc Michelin's are hard to come by). This is causing ABS fault. Does anybody have any knowledge or have experienced this problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I have replaced front 2 tires that are 1/10" bigger than original ( bc Michelin's are hard to come by). This is causing ABS fault. Does anybody have any knowledge or have experienced this problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Welcome! ABS is sensing wheel speed so a tire size change that small shouldn't cause an ABS error.
What are the before and after tire sizes? Did you change all tires to the new size? At what speed is the ABS light coming on?

Last edited:
Welcome! ABS is sensing wheel speed so a tire size change that small shouldn't cause an ABS error.
What are the before and after tire sizes? Did you change all tires to the new size? At what speed is the ABS light coming on?
That is what the tire guy thought also. He calculated 6 revolutions per mile difference. He thought there should be a tolerance for that much. I drove less than a mile at 30 mph and the light came on. Drove 5 more miles and is still on. Old tire 37.1"-556. New tire 37.0"-562. I changed the front 2 only. I replaced the back 4 last year. Thanks for the response.

I have a hard time believing that a tire size change that small would affect the ABS system. I’m wondering if one of the magnetic sensors got knocked out of alignment or damaged during the tire change. And, it would seem that there should be a reset/calibration procedure on the system that would put things right. Not knowing specifically what year/make/model RV we are talking about here, that’s just a couple of WAGs.

TJ

That is what the tire guy thought also. He calculated 6 revolutions per mile difference. He thought there should be a tolerance for that much. I drove less than a mile at 30 mph and the light came on. Drove 5 more miles and is still on. Old tire 37.1"-556. New tire 37.0"-562. I changed the front 2 only. I replaced the back 4 last year. Thanks for the response.
The ECU might take a little time to automatically recalibrate now that all of your tires are the same size but if it doesn't clear up soon, as TJ mentioned, it's likely that the wheel speed sensor got knocked out of position or damaged during the tire change.

I have a hard time believing that a tire size change that small would affect the ABS system. I’m wondering if one of the magnetic sensors got knocked out of alignment or damaged during the tire change. And, it would seem that there should be a reset/calibration procedure on the system that would put things right. Not knowing specifically what year/make/model RV we are talking about here, that’s just a couple of WAGs.

TJ
True that. I am bringing it back to the tire dealer soon to double-check everything. Just trying to get educated as much as possible. Forrester Pace Arrow 2005. Not sure if the manual is that indebt but I will check. Thanks for the thoughts.

The ECU might take a little time to automatically recalibrate now that all of your tires are the same size but if it doesn't clear up soon, as TJ mentioned, it's likely that the wheel speed sensor got knocked out of position or damaged during the tire change.
Well the new fronts are 1/10" smaller than the original tires. Are you saying drive it further and faster? Should I reset the fault first somehow? Thanks for your thoughts.

I don't have the actual tire number with me. Just know that the dimension on the tires are Old= 37.1"- 556mm. New 37.0"- 562mm. I just change the front 2 out. I did the back 4 last year. I am bringing rv back to have them recheck everything again. Thanks for your thoughts.

I don't have the actual tire number with me. Just know that the dimension on the tires are Old= 37.1"- 556mm. New 37.0"- 562mm. I just change the front 2 out. I did the back 4 last year. I am bringing rv back to have them recheck everything again. Thanks for your thoughts.
Probably a 235/80R22.5 Michelin vs. 245/75R22.5 Goodyear or other. Michelin is the only tire manufacturer that makes a 235/80. Going to a 245/75 should NOT cause an ABS problem. It's done every day by anyone that switches from Michelin to another brand. I'd bet the tire store knocked the ABS sensor out of place.

Probably a 235/80R22.5 Michelin vs. 245/75R22.5 Goodyear or other. Michelin is the only tire manufacturer that makes a 235/80. Going to a 245/75 should NOT cause an ABS problem. It's done every day by anyone that switches from Michelin to another brand. I'd bet the tire store knocked the ABS sensor out of place.
Crazy thing. I was getting ready to drive to the tire shop to have it looked at and released the parking brake to drive off and the ABS fault light reset. Drove 10 miles with no problem. I don't get it but totally happy. Thanks for all your responses. Much appreciated.

Latest resources

Back