Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Myvalk

RVF Newbee
I just bought a 2021 Honda CRV with a towing capacity of 1500 pounds. That was before my wife said she wanted to get an RV because the kids all got RVs. Is there anything that my small car can tow?

If the car has a capacity of 1500lbs does not mean you can tow a 1500lb trailer. You need to consider total loaded weight of the trailer and the vehicle. Another thing to consider is wind drag on anything your towing. The pic below is an ultra light trailer called a MeerKat. One of the lightest that weights under 1000lbs And 75lbs tongue weight.
In my past experience I tried something like this using a Skamp ultra lite trailer behind a Toyota Corolla SR5 6 speed manual. Towed fine around town up to 45-50 mph, but get to Hwy speeds of 65 mph was nearly impossible due to drag. I could not get out of 4 gear. With gas tanks being so small in these cars I has a range of about 125 miles.

So really I think they give you the 1500 lbs if you had a small utility trailer to haul material from your local hardware store or something.

1614165719468.jpeg

I wouldn’t consider towing with that CRV. I would not tow with anything that wasn’t a full frame vehicle. Yes, you can tow with a unibody, it’s just my personal choice not to.

Maybe a pop up camper?

Maybe even a motorcycle trailer.

I just bought a 2021 Honda CRV with a towing capacity of 1500 pounds. That was before my wife said she wanted to get an RV because the kids all got RVs. Is there anything that my small car can tow?
We had a similar situation. We bought my wife the new Infiniti QX 50. There is one model( the most expensive) that can tow 3000 pounds. The one we bought total limit is 1400. I wanted to tow our small 10 ft boat. After plowing through the owners manual I was able to determine the total weight was 1400. This includes luggage, passengers and gear plus boat trailer etc. She loves the car so I ended up buying a GX460 for myself. It tows 6500 pounds.

Latest resources

Back