Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star
RV Length
44'
TOW/TOAD
JL Wrangler
All,

I recently starting towing my 21 F150 which has an Air Force One system. Same as my Rubicon, but I had a charger added to this vehicle to prevent a low or dead battery.

Well, it appears that I have one of a few options on an issue. First trip out, and dead battery. The charger does not appear to function. I called my trusted installer, and he recommended I check to see if the coach shipped with a relay that allowed the proper wire on the 7 pin to power up the charger function. Now, I had all lighting etc, but a dead battery when we arrived in Orlando.

Long story short, do we have to install a relay to allow the coach to charge the toad. He is happy to replace the unit if defective, but I thought this was worth an ask first. I have not had a chance to poke around, so forgive me if this is something I should know.

2021 Dutch Star 4326 on Spartan Chassis.

Thanks,

Mike

How many pins do you have on your toad end of the cord?

To test the power on the 7way plug on the RV, use a multi meter, set to DC voltage.

Connect positive (red) to pin #4 and negative (black) to pin #1. You should get a 14.1 voltage reading with the RV engine running.

With the RV engine turned off, verify that you are getting 0V on the same.

1641410360789.png

Once you have done this test, report back with the wiring of your umbilical cord.

FYI -- I did my own wiring, so I should be able to diagnose this with you pretty quickly.

How many pins do you have on your toad end of the cord?

To test the power on the 7way plug on the RV, use a multi meter, set to DC voltage.

Connect positive (red) to pin #4 and negative (black) to pin #1. You should get a 14.1 voltage reading with the RV engine running.

With the RV engine turned off, verify that you are getting 0V on the same.

View attachment 10364

Once you have done this test, report back with the wiring of your umbilical cord.

FYI -- I did my own wiring, so I should be able to diagnose this with you pretty quickly.

Thank you kindly. I did not even think to google the pinout.

I did replace the Master Relay for the HWH system this morning, as my unit would not power up. Fixed that problem, now on to the toad charging.

I will report back hopefully tomorrow. Thanks again!

Mike

Well. I have battery voltage at the auxiliary pin. And I have it at the center pin on the opposite end of my umbilical ( lol ) cord.

So looks like it’s on the truck end.

What charger are you using? Is it the RVI?

Latest resources

Back