Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
I am curious how many people who have Wranglers that they tow are using it as a daily driver vehicle when at your S&B? The reason I ask is, I just got my Cherokee Trailhawk back from the dealer where they replaced the rear differential because the seals were "leaking".

Thankfully, it was covered by the remaining warranty. Others have said, this is the sign of problems still to come, so I am wondering if I should replace it with a Wrangler.

The Wrangler would be my daily driver car once my corporate lease is up this summer.

My wrangler is one of my daily drivers. I also have a BMW M5. Very different vehicles for different moods.

The Wrangler, from what I am told, is not going to be "trouble free". A leaking rear differential is not anything to get excited about. On the wranglers, the rear diff has to be drained and filled frequently, with a full gear cleaning (using brake cleaner) anytime water goes over it, so it becomes almost as routine as dealing with an oil change.

My daughter has a 2020 wrangler as her only vehicle. She has not had any trouble in the 6 months she has been driving it...already put 7400miles on it too.

The Wrangler, from what I am told, is not going to be "trouble free".
Excellent example of the masterfull use of "tact". :)

Seldom, if ever, will you find the words "Jeep" and "dependable" used in close proximity to each other. I have one, but I would never choose it as my only daily driver. Be sure to have another car that you can use when the "insert issues here" decides to disappoint you. :)

I never understood why people owned jeep wranglers.. .until I drove one with doors and top off.....I was hooked.

2019 DSDP 4369 * Active Air * NHSO

Knock on wood, our 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk hasn’t skipped a beat since I bought it on New Year’s Day last year. Probably still a bit young for the ugly issues to rear their head. Hoping there will be an Overland trim of the Grand Wagoneer so that I can keep some jeepiness while simultaneously removing my knees from the dashboard.

@sheridany ... we have two (2) Jeeps in our family; a 2018 Wrangler for me and a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk for my wife. Both are set up for towing based on where and what we are doing on any particular trip. When home we both use them for our daily vehicles. So far both have been "almost trouble free" … unless a dead battery counts. Just keep up on the normal maintenance and make sure and keep the tires rotated. I rotate mine every +/- 5,000 miles.

FLSteve

Last edited:
@FLSteve i like my trailhawk and it’s been reliable except for the rear differential replacement which was covered. Do you still have to put the mopar anti wobble kit in the 2019 trailhawk that I had to put in mine?

@FLSteve i like my trailhawk and it’s been reliable except for the rear differential replacement which was covered. Do you still have to put the mopar anti wobble kit in the 2019 trailhawk that I had to put in mine?
@sheridany ... I do not think it is needed. Have towed ours many many miles with no problems. I think the "Grand" Cherokee could still have issues if I remember my research from a year ago.

FLSteve

We have a 2012 Wrangler with 45k on it that has been towed another 50k behind our motor homes. Had to have a cylinder head replaced but that was on a recall campaign. Otherwise it has been trouble free. I do use it as my runaround vehicle while at home but we do have another vehicle available. I wouldn’t have a problem with the Wrangler as my primary vehicle except that it is really only a two person vehicle unless you have the unlimited version.

Latest resources

Back