Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Btim

RVF Regular
We are upgrading to a Class C and need to decide on what vehicle to tow behind it and how to do it. None of our current cars/trucks are suitable for 4-wheels down so I am considering use of a tow dolly instead. Any insights on the pros/cons will be appreciated. I'd rather not have to get a new vehicle at this point, but will do so if a dolly is not safe or desirable.
With a dolly I can tow my current FWD cars. Plus, I can buy a dolly for less than the cost of buying another vehicle and setting it up to tow flat. Wife and I are planning a cross country trip in July so I've got a bit of time to work this out, but need to get it right.

Using a tow dolly is an economical way to go with some inconveniences. I will let those that have used tow dollies elaborate as I have never used one. ?

I personally think that tow dolly is a big PIA. Every time you need the car, you'll have disconnect and take the car off the dolly. Most of the time, you can not leave the dolly attached, since it sticks out too much. Then you'll have to find a space to store it and move it there.
Ideally, find a car that's light weight and 4 down towable. If you are buying a new one, read the manual about towing section. DO NOT THRUST THE SALESMAN.
We have 2014 Honda CTV FWD automatic. It is the last year model that's towable and we like it.
Good luck

Good luck on your decision. I looked into tow dollies but decided against it as I don't have storage. Another option is auto crank case lubrication system for 4 down towing. I have heard of a drive shaft decoupler or disconnect also. Just a few options out there to look into.

Tow dollies, properly set up, are a safe way to tow. They are also (as has already been said) a PITA to deal with! Finding a place to store them when you are parked in a RV park ranges from inconvenient to impossible!

And, yes, you can probably modify one of your existing vehicles to be 4-down towable, but it is costly and adds complexity plus another potential failure point. If I had to choose between just one of those two options, I suppose I would go with a tow dolly, but my strong preference would be to replace one (or two) of my existing vehicles with one designed for 4-down towing.

TJ

Thanks to all for the input. We picked up our new Entegra 24B yesterday. Going to plan a couple short trips to learn to coach. Probably rent a U-Haul dolly for one trip just to see if it is too much of a PITA. Wife wants to just get the right car and tow 4 down. Probably the way I'll go. Just need to see for myself.
Thanks again.

Latest resources

Back