Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

gregoryp01

RVF Newbee
Hello, I am interested in buying a new 2024 Sunset Trail 258RD. Everything I read says empty weight 5600(roughly) and gvwr 7600(roughly) and tongue weight of 774 pounds! Can anyone confirm that weight is correct? That's kind of scaring me off since my max tongue weight capacity of my truck with wd hitch is 1000lbs. Any info would be much appreciated, thank you.

I didn't have the paper with the actual weights in front of me, but the 774 stuck in my mind. I also understand everything is off of gvwr, but I will never load the trailer to max. That's why I asked if anyone knew the actual real life tongue weight and not the number the factory states. Thank you for replying, I always welcome all information.

Hello, I am interested in buying a new 2024 Sunset Trail 258RD. Everything I read says empty weight 5600(roughly) and gvwr 7600(roughly) and tongue weight of 774 pounds! Can anyone confirm that weight is correct? That's kind of scaring me off since my max tongue weight capacity of my truck with wd hitch is 1000lbs. Any info would be much appreciated, thank you.
That 774 could be correct but it's going to be a dry weight without propane, battery, WDH, etc.

You probably already have this in mind, but wanted to be sure that anyone reading this who may not know, the 10-15% isn’t just a random number - this is a safety factor that cannot be ignored.
In other words, if your loaded/actual total weight is 7000, then you NEED at LEAST 700 on the tongue to avoid trailer sway.
Couple videos:

I didn't have the paper with the actual weights in front of me, but the 774 stuck in my mind. I also understand everything is off of gvwr, but I will never load the trailer to max. That's why I asked if anyone knew the actual real life tongue weight and not the number the factory states. Thank you for replying, I always welcome all information.
Famous last words! I remember my first motorhome. It had a GVWR of 15200# and I thought wow, how could I ever load it up to that. First trip, filled water tank and loaded all our gear, groceries, clothes etc. Ran it to the scale. To my dismay, I found I was 500# over GVWR!

We drained water and removed stuff that we really did not need and got 200# under. Yes, very close.

Bottom line, if you can stay under GVWR, you are better than most.

We had a Canyon Star that was always lightly loaded in our opinion, lots of open space in the basement. When weighing with fuel and water, waste tanks empty, we were always within 50-100 lbs of gross weight. 26,000lbs.

Latest resources

Back