Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
When I was at Dan's Hitch (Elkhart, IN) a week ago I mentioned how my bike rack has a twist knob that minimizes the movement of the bike rack in the hitch. I noticed that the 2 inch tow bar going into my coach has play in it and wondered how to mitigate that. They mentioned some cuff but as the coach wasn't there, they couldn't address the issue but said they have something to handle this, which is called a Quiet Hitch. Roadmaster makes one so I got it and as I bought a new tow bar from them, I installed it and yep, it works. The guys at Dan's hitch said this sway can cause issues including tire wear, etc. Who knows but I want my tow bar secure and not moving, movement leads to failures, things should be secure.

Amazon product ASIN B00C5TA2QQ
IMG_5505.JPG
quiet-hitch.png

I use them on my hitch as pictured and to take up the slack on my bike rack. I like everything riding on a hitch as tight as possible

I use similar ones for my trailers. When I noticed the play in my towbar, I started using one there. Now that I’m using a 4” drop/riser for the new Jeep, I am using two of them on the coach. All the ones I’ve previously seen/used have the plate in addition to the U-bolt.

I'm using the Roadmaster version on my tow bar - it was getting pretty wobbly back there. Haven't seen it in action because I'm at the other end of the coach when we're rolling, but I like knowing it's secure.

I use TWO of them, in 3" size as well since I have a reducing sleeve. They work REALLY well! In fact, so well that the pins move freely still; which means they...and the holes...aren't getting hammered the whole time.

One note, from the maker of mine (HITCH CLAMP in Texas), is they don't need to be crazy torqued down. To my surprise, they recommend only 25ft.lbs.!

This guy is great...made in the USA if any of you need one.

I use these on our Bay Star. It works great on the RV hitch, but I have a Demco drop receiver to get the tow bar flat and it doesn’t “bite” as well to tighten up like I would like. Still helps a lot though.

Dan's Hitch did our bike setup too and added these which works. Occasionally will need to tighten because they stretch out.

I use two of them on my hitch. Keep checking them. Mine used to come loose, until I installed Nylock nuts.

Likewise, I use two of them, as I have a 6" drop hitch on the back of the Canyon Star!
Mine have the flange, and stay good & tight!
I do like the looks of the "Roadmaster", with the round bar!:)

I use two hitch stabilizers, but made my own. Since I am trying to minimize lateral slop, I put mine on 90 degrees to what is "normally" done. Essentially they clamp and tighten sideways. I use 2 stabilizers: one on the drop hitch to coach and the other at the drop hitch to tow bar. The result is spectacular. The toad wandering around back there has been eliminated.

Latest resources

Back