Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
We were getting ready to leave this morning and we discovered that tow car safety and brake and hazard lights do not work when the lights are on in the coach. I tried checking the plug to the tow car to make properly positioned and it’s secure. I also tried turning off headlights in toad as maybe being on auto was interfering but that didn’t work. Not sure where else to look. With the lights off, they work fine. Seems like a wire is crisscrossed somewhere.

One thing I would suggest (won't help you this instant) is to buy some conductive grease and coat the male ends of your towing electrical harness connections. The coating lasts a long time and will ensure good electrical contact connections.

Edit: you have towed this vehicle before, good bet it is connection problems. Have any sandpaper with you?

Last edited:
yes...i do have sandpaper....we did not check the connections with the lights on when we left the shop. Lesson learned. They worked great with the lights off so they should work the same with lights on. WRONG!...I learn something everyday about owning an RV and thanks to this forum for educating me on this journey.

Sheridan:

Does "when we left the shop" mean that you have had work done on the coach or toad? Did everything work correctly prior to having any recent work done? Seems like I recall you changing something on the coach.

If that's the case, I think the chances are good that something done recently has mixed up your wiring between the coach and the toad. Have you tried the toad lights without being connected to the coach? "Murphy" works in strange and interesting ways.

TJ

Hi @TJ&LadyDi
I had the toad done by a recommended shop as I use the rvi braking system so they said they didn’t need the coach since there were no mods there. We took the coach there to go through a hookup with the shop tech and everything came together. We checked lights turn signal and hazard without turning coach running lights on.

The only change we have made to the coach as of late was put in the repeater for the eez tire tpms in the 1/2 bath. Not sure if that would cause it but I’ll check. Lights on the toad work fine.

I’ll just have to spend more time trying to trace it as it seems like maybe a wiring harness got crisscrossed. Going to call the shop tomorrow and find out what they did. I may end up taking it back to them and having them fix it as I am sure they will make it right.

The only other thing that came to mind was a while ago I recall @turbopilot had an issue with a specific module that affected his toad lights and signals and it was replaced. I am looking for that post.

I would certainly go back to the shop that did the work (with both the coach and the toad) and have them go through the wiring. It certainly sounds like they got something cross-wired.

TJ

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back