Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Cracker

RVF Newbee
The GVWR of my class B+ motorhome is 12,300 lbs and the chassis GCWR is 16,000 lbs. My actual scale weigh in travel mode is 8,400 lbs. Subtracting the GVWR from the GCWR gives me 3,700 lbs remaining, however, if I subtract the scale weight from the GCWR I get 7,600 lbs. If I use the old "rule-of-thumb," 80% of 7,600 lbs gives me just over 6,000 lbs. I'm really only interested in around 4,500 lbs max so, with brakes, and holding the hitch weight to 450 lbs, I should be good to go - with or without an equalizing hitch. At 83, I've been at this for a long time - but it's always good to have someone looking over your shoulder. We frequently use the Class B+ for simple daytime travel around Maine - but there are times when we might want to set up in, say Acadia, for a week or so, and the Class B+ isn't that comfortable. What I hope to find is a small travel trailer with air conditioning, a big queen bed, TV, - and not much else - that we could leave on the site for the day while we roam! The Class B has everything else, including a generator.

I'm amazed as how much payload you have, 3900# is huge... Based on your numbers I'd say you are well within safe limits. Personally I'd probably use a WD hitch anyhow, one with built in sway control can make towing more enjoyable IMO.

I agree about the load distributer hitch and built-in sway control. It does make for a better towing experience - even with a heavy tow vehicle.

Latest resources

Back