Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

MPRV

RVF Newbee
I have a 20 foot Geo pro trailer that I am towing with a Toyota Highlander. The car is rated to tow 5000 pounds and the trailer weight capacity is just under that.
I would like to tell this out on the beach on Long Island and wondering if anybody has used a Highlander and had success on the beach without losing a car and or a trailer?

The car does sit a bit low and I know I would have to take some air out of the tires. Not sure if this vehicle would handle the soft sand towing the trailer?
If so any recommendation on tire pressure for the car and trailer?

Beach towing is very different, regardless of towing set-up. The first thing is (YES) you must deflate your tires down to around 10-15lbs. (On car and trailer) BUT, you must have a way to inflate the tires immediately upon hitting hard surfaces. Do you have an onboard compressor? (and plenty of hose to reach ALL tires?) NOT familiar with Long Island, but have been in the sand / dunes of Pismo Beach (CA) many times. I've seen many get stuck, even those with really good set-ups. So most of all, is there someone that can strap on and tow you out of a rut? I'm all for adventure, so I want to encourage you...just be prepared for a potential mishap (or two 😉)

Last edited:
Beach towing is very different, regardless of towing set-up. The first thing is (YES) you must deflate your tires down to around 10-15lbs. (On car and trailer) BUT, you must have a way to inflate the tires immediately upon hitting hard surfaces. Do you have an onboard compressor? (and plenty of hose to reach ALL tires?) NOT familiar with Long Island, but have been in the sand / dunes of Pismo Beach (CA) many times. I've seen many get stuck, even those with really good set-ups. So most of all, is there someone that can strap on and two you out of a rut? I'm all for adventure, so I want to encourage you...just be prepared for a potential mishap (or two 😉)
They are state parks with air at the parking lots. And I have a compressor. I don’t want to kill my vehicle ,waste money on Camping fees and hopefully not on a tow truck.

To be safe, stay off of the beach. The safe and recommended tow numbers; trailer weight should be no more than 80% of the vehicle towing capacity. Also, pay close attention to the cargo weight limit of the tow vehicle. Never exceed this value.

Bottom line, I would NEVER put my vehicle or trailer on a sandy salt-laden beach. Once corrosion sets in, you can kiss both of them goodby.

Latest resources

Back