Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Halo1

RVF Newbee
Looking to tow a dry weight 7100 trailer with ford expedition...towing capacity 9000 lbs
Am I ok???

Need more info, GVWR, hitch or tongue weight, weight of the trailer after you added what ever cargo to it, the weight of the cargo in the truck itself, are you towing with fresh water tank filled, length of the trailer and weight from the wdh hitch counts against payload.

You’ll be all the way there for sure, but probably technical in spec on the towing capacity. Hitch weight might be close. What’s your carrying capacity of your SUV. I would think the hitch weight will be close to 1000 pounds. With people and cargo probably close to 1600 pounds.

Once you have worked thru the numbers maybe hook up for a test tow.

What kind of horsepower does an expedition have. I would think you want to be north of 300 horsepower at a minimum. Don’t want to be dragging too much in the hills.

We tow close to the limits of our SUV and it’s fine. But it’s also only a 3400 pound loaded trailer. And the SUV has 447 horsepower so it’s pretty much like it’s not even there. Makes it much less stressful. Under powered towing is not fun.

Hope you get it worked out. Safe travels and happy trails.

I always figure towing using the gross weight both for the truck and for the trailer. Neither is ever empty, thus the dry weight is of no value. The maximum cargo weight for the truck is on the placard on the driver's side of the truck. The cargo weight consists of the sum of the passenger weights, plus fuel weight, plus trailer tongue weight, and any other "stuff" you put in the truck. Chances are you will be over maximum cargo weight.

The maximum tow weight of the trailer is the empty trailer weight, plus water, plus propane, plus battery, plus all of the "stuff" we load inside. The maximum trailer weight should be about 80% of the maximum tow rating of the vehicle. At 9000 lbs, which is what the truck is rated to safely pull and stop, 7200 lbs is 80% of 9000 lbs. This would be recommended gross trailer weight.

Get the numbers and do the math. Then you will know if you are OK or not. Better be safe and sure than using the SWAG factor.

If it is a newer Expedition it should have the 3.5L V6 GTDI 375HP and 470ilbs of torque.

Looking to tow a dry weight 7100 trailer with ford expedition...towing capacity 9000 lbs
Am I ok???
Absolutely NOT OK. You will never tow an empty dry trailer. Your maximum tow weight of a trailer for that vehicle should be 7200 lbs, which is 80% of the 9000 lbs for the tow vehicle. That is the recommended value. What is the maximum weight of the trailer? This is what one should consider as being the tow weight.

Based on 7100 lbs dry, I'd expect the gross to be 9000 lbs or more. For this, you need a tow vehicle capacity of 12,000 lbs.

Latest resources

Back