• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Towing the toad 4 wheels down

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
New to a Class A, when I did my walk through and the dealer showed me how to hook up toad. He explained that once I am hooked up. Get in the Motorhome turn wheel sharp right, move slightly forward then turn sharp left and move slightly forward to lock towbar arms.
Does everyone do this? Most of the time leaving a slight you will make a right and a left turn before leaving the park. Would that lock the arms?
Just that I never really saw any Motorhome do a sharp right then left before pulling out.

As always thanks for the help.
What I usually do after hooking up is to back the toad up gently to make sure one side locks. After that I leave the site the other lock will lock on its own. Before getting on main road I check both locks again so I'm certain they have both locked. If you dont lock at least one lock when you pull forward it will jerk the toad and possibly damage the locking mechanism

By the time I get out to the main roads, my old tow bar has fully extended and locked into place.

After hooking up I gently back up the Jeep till at least one of the arms lock. After doing the light check (brake and turn signals) DW has me pull ahead to make sure the wheels on the toad turns and both tow bar arms are locked.

The process the dealer suggested may work just fine however it's not the process I use. I have a Roadmaster tow bar. With my guidance my wife drives the toad into position to allow me to attach the tow bar. Once connected I have her back up slightly & slowly until both tow bar arms lock. Sometimes it's necessary to turn the wheel right or left while backing to get both tow arms locked. In any case I know both tow bar arms are locked before I step away. I've also done the connect and back up the toad to lock when alone. I just preferr to know the tow system is locked and ready to go before the coach is moving.

I prefer to have control so after I hooked up and backed up until I heard the arms lock.

Latest resources

Back