Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

billnourse

RVF Regular
I am currently looking for a 5th wheel toyhauler. I want to be under 40 ft. no more than 13,000 dry weight, and a pin weight of around 2,500. I have found some models that fit this criteria and am now try8ing to decide the best make. I have looked at New River XLR Nitro, Grand Design Momentum G class, and Fusion Impact. Can anyone comment on the quality of these units or possibly recommend others?

Why are you worried about the dry weight? You will never tow it at that weight. What GVW are you looking at? With the pin weight you want you are looking at a trailer with a GVW of around 12,500 pounds figuring a 20% pin weight. Look at the Gvw and use 20% to 25% to get an idea of the pin weight.

I understand that I will be pulling more than empty weight. I was just using that as a criteria for shopping. My question is about the brands I outlined and their respective quality.

What are you planning on putting in the garage? I have a 40', 13k wet 5er with a 13' garage. Keeping the weight distribution right has been a learning curve. As far as brand, I like my Forest River but it rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

I have a 2021 RZR Trail 900 Ultimate. Weighs about 1,300. I could pull it behind my current 1996 Holiday Rambler, but we are wanting an extra bedroom and bath. Thanks for the reply.

The extra bed and bath is awesome. My 13yo daughter has her own space while I have mine. Now I don't personally know about the xlr or the other but with mine, every 500lbs I put in the back I have to offset it towards the front so the trailer doesn't chuck. The first couple of trips pulling it were no fun. After I started moving everything extra to my room on moving day things smoothed out really nice. Just something to think about. Although the CCC says 3100ish for this I definitely can't put that all in back.

The manufacturer listed tongue weight for a toy hauler fiver can be a little misleading. There will be several factors that will determine your final tongue/hitch weight. What will be hauled in the garage and how much does it weigh? Is the fiver/trailer a dual axle or triple axle? Will there be a generator in the front compartment?

When we were shopping I gave up on trying to match up my tow vehicle exactly to the model and floorplan of toy hauler we were going to buy. There were just too many variables and unknowns so I bought an F350 dually with the heaviest payload package I could get. The only way I'm going to know the exact tongue/hitch weight and distribution is to run across the scales this month after we are loaded for the road.

Now, as far as the quality or workmanship of the makes/models you listed. IMHO it is a gamble. We purchased a new Newmar with a MSRP of $355,000 and the first 18 months we replaced the oil pan gasket, the DEF tower, the Oasis summer loop pump, crown molding that fell off, and several minor items repaired. Purchased a new Keystone Montana fiver with a MSRP of around $90,000 and the only thing that needed repaired was the clothes rod and emergency escape window latch. We have been in our current Heartland Cyclone for less than 2 weeks and so far the ice maker is broke, closet door hardware fell off, and several other small things I have had to re-do.

My point is none of them are built to the standards and quality of the automobile industry and be prepared to fix stuff.

The manufacturer listed tongue weight for a toy hauler fiver can be a little misleading. There will be several factors that will determine your final tongue/hitch weight. What will be hauled in the garage and how much does it weigh? Is the fiver/trailer a dual axle or triple axle? Will there be a generator in the front compartment?

When we were shopping I gave up on trying to match up my tow vehicle exactly to the model and floorplan of toy hauler we were going to buy. There were just too many variables and unknowns so I bought an F350 dually with the heaviest payload package I could get. The only way I'm going to know the exact tongue/hitch weight and distribution is to run across the scales this month after we are loaded for the road.

Now, as far as the quality or workmanship of the makes/models you listed. IMHO it is a gamble. We purchased a new Newmar with a MSRP of $355,000 and the first 18 months we replaced the oil pan gasket, the DEF tower, the Oasis summer loop pump, crown molding that fell off, and several minor items repaired. Purchased a new Keystone Montana fiver with a MSRP of around $90,000 and the only thing that needed repaired was the clothes rod and emergency escape window latch. We have been in our current Heartland Cyclone for less than 2 weeks and so far the ice maker is broke, closet door hardware fell off, and several other small things I have had to re-do.

My point is none of them are built to the standards and quality of the automobile industry and be prepared to fix stuff.
I have our new Torque 371 only 3 weeks electric hot water heater doesn’t work, electrical outlet doesn’t work and 2 doors didn’t lock properly 4 cabinet doors cracked

My point is none of them are built to the standards and quality of the automobile industry and be prepared to fix stuff
But the real answer is it is extremely difficult to build an RV to stand up to what people expect of them. Back in the day (mid to early 60's) Chrysler's Dodge div. tried to enter the RV market. According to an engineer at the time, They exited the endeavor to save reputation. They could build a tank, but large diesels were not common back then.

But the real answer is it is extremely difficult to build an RV to stand up to what people expect of them. Back in the day (mid to early 60's) Chrysler's Dodge div. tried to enter the RV market. According to an engineer at the time, They exited the endeavor to save reputation. They could build a tank, but large diesels were not common back then.
It is not just that Kevin IMHO. Certainly you could build them heavier with larger frames, additional wall studs, higher end fixtures and appliances, all on top of a better smoother suspension.......no wait a minute I just described higher end diesel pushers and they aren't much better quality than your run-of-the-mill $50,000 travel trailer.

Seriously you are mostly correct, it is very difficult to construct a "house" that can withstand the torture of crashing over our rough roads.

Latest resources

Back