Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Alert TPMS SENSORS ON RUBBER STEMS MAY CAUSE VALVE STEM FAILURE!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I’m confused. Are we talking about toads or coaches or both? CG subject says toad flat. I can see a need to put metal stems on my toad for the reasons he mentioned if I can find them for mine that are compatible.

My only two tire failures since 2011 (knocking on wood) has been due to rubber valve stem failure. One was on a long enclosed trailer tire being towed by my Newmar and the other was on an extended tow dolly a couple years later. One had a flow through TPMS sensor and one had the button type.

My conclusion is I don't run anything but metal valve stems on any of my RV applications.

Certainly a good warning for all to learn from and inspect - raise awareness! Thanks for the thread!

GUYS!!!!!

I’M TALKING ABOUT THE TOAD’s VALVE STEMS!!!! That’s why I’ve posted this message in the TOADS sub-forum!!!!

Please, I’m simply trying to put a message out, accurately and relevant to a known problem…without distraction and/or side-tracking.

I even had a friend remind me that many of the leading TMPS manufactures will caution you not to mount their sensors on rubber stems.

GUYS!!!!!

I’M TALKING ABOUT THE TOAD’s VALVE STEMS!!!! That’s why I’ve posted this message in the TOADS sub-forum!!!!

Please, I’m simply trying to put a message out, accurately and relevant to a known problem…without distraction and/or side-tracking.

I even had a friend remind me that many of the leading TMPS manufactures will caution you not to mount their sensors on rubber stems.
Well that makes more sense. I couldn’t imagine a Newell with rubber valve stems. I don’t bother with TPMS on my toad. But this is good for awareness of any valve stem issues and a good reminder to inspect them regularly. They weren’t designed to have a little weight on the end of them. Probably has something to do with angular momentum.

I went to a couple of tire shops today to see about metal stems on the toad. My 2015 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk has an on-board tpms in addition to the eez tire sensors I run on the toad valve stems for flat towing. To change out to a compatible stem for my vehicle was expensive. They (Big O) wanted $98 per stem and 30 per wheel to remove the tire change out the internal tpms and stems. I checked a couple of other shops and they were comparable. The stems and tpms had to be ordered so they will be here tomorrow. Since I bought my current vehicle tires from Big O I asked for a break and they cut the install to 15 per tire. Not bad but still expensive. It’s a good recommendation so I am going forward.

I've been working with a few Jeep owners.

They've just bought a set of HUF Intellisense stems and sensors from my reference. The sensors are pre-programmed at the factory so you don't have to pay any extra fees at the tire shop (they love to nail you for that!). His cost was only $43 per wheel; $234 for a set of 5, with tax and shipping.

🛑
📢
DON'T GET A TOAD FLAT
❗️

THIS POST IS SPECIFICALLY TO ADDRESS USING TPMS SENSORS ON YOUR TOWED (TOAD) VEHICLE - NOT YOUR RV (hence the reason this is posted in the TOAD VEHICLES sub-forum)!

MOUNTING TPMS SENSORS ON RUBBER VALVE STEMS CAN CAUSE THEM TO FAIL!

IN FACT, MANY TOP MANUFACTURERS RECOMMEND USING METAL STEMS FOR THIS VERY REASON.

View attachment 16577

After hearing of yet another valve stem failure (third one in a year), I thought I'd put this out here.
The TPMS sensors weigh around 22 grams, and that is just too much centrifugal mass for the RUBBER valve stems to hold as the tire spins and bounces along the road...ESPECIALLY for you off-roaders! Eventually, the stem will fail, right at the base and you may not even notice it until the worse time; when you're driving.

If you're lucky, like we were, the failure happened on a 115º day parked just a few feet from a tire shop. If you're not lucky, you'll have a catastrophic event as you're towing down the road; far from help!
I have TWO RECOMMENDATIONS:
  1. REPLACE YOUR STEMS WITH HIGH-QUALITY METAL ONES!
    Don't cheap out; my shop had these name-brands for $30. You'll need to find a model that's compatible with your factory sensors, if you have them, which mount to the base of the stem inside the wheel.
  2. REMOVE YOUR SENSORS WHEN NOT TOWING!
    Yes, why cause battery drain and unneeded stress when the TPMS systems isn't being used? Instead take'em off and toss them into a bag. I use high-strength P-TOUCH labels to identify them...gotta be sure they go back on the correct wheel!

This happened just yesterday on a friend's Jeep. FortI justunately, he found it while he was local and was able to take it to a tire shop.

View attachment 16578
I just want to say thanks for posting this, I was unaware. The last travel trailer I happened to buy that we use now just has a single axle rather than 2 axles, so I decided to invest in one of these add on tire pressure monitors, considering we only had two tires, I wanted to make sure they maintained good pressure while driving and be warned if there were a change before anything catastrophic happened. I went ahead and ordered a set of steel valve stems to have installed.

Thanks,
A-Texan

Latest resources

Back