Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Angus

RVF Regular
I am looking at purchasing a monitoring system, but I want to know your thoughts. Do they really work? are they worth the expense? Do they really prevent damage to the rv, through the monitoring system? Thanks

Definitely worth the investment just for the peace of mind. Not only will you know right away if a tire is going down (the main reason to buy one) but they also tell you tire temp so you’ll know if there is a brake or maybe even wheel bearing issue.

I use EEZ Products TPMS: https://eezrvproducts.com/ Not the most expensive and it is perfectly satisfactory, although programming the sensors was a learning experience and I had two bad sensors with my initial package. EEZ stood behind their products thogh and sent me replacemrnts immediately without questions. I also found I needed the repeater even though I’m only monitoring the coach tires.

I never cared about it on a car or truck but the damage potential of a failed tire on an RV can be severe, not to mention the risk to the occupamts traveling in a plywood and fiberglass box at the same speeds as crash-tested cars with multiple safety features RVs do not have.

I bought a tst 507 after having an unseen flat and driving for a mile with a shredded tire beating the side of my windjammer. If people hadn't been honking and waving I might have driven further. Had to replace the bottom metal on that side.
I moved it to my Montana fifth wheel, got a high temp alert near Tampa, luckily there was a rest area right there. Got out and looked and my passenger side rear tire had all the inside tread scrubbed off, turned out I had a bent axle. If I hadn't had the tst I'm sure I would have kept driving until it blew.

Bought 4 more sensors when I got the motorhome, then I bought 4 more after that for the silverado we tow behind the motorhome, total of 12. Kind of expensive but well worth the peace of mind.
Had a high heat alarm go off on the silverado toad, at Tampa again going to Florida this year(Tampa hates me I guess), pulled over at the very same rest area. Had a hanging front brake on the passenger side of the truck. If I hadn't had the tpms I'd have kept driving until I possibly blew a tire or had a fire.

I’ve had a TST system for 10+ years and really like it. My only problem is my high frequency hearing loss is so bad I can’t hear the alarm so I had to mount the unit up high where the flashing red light will catch my eye.
Another good reason to have a monitor system is the ease of checking tire pressure prior to heading out in the morning.

TST507 from TechnoRV. Does a good job of monitoring pressures. Good help from TechnoRV and on YouTube for information. Can be a little hard to read monitor if in full sun but worth it.

Latest resources

Back