Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

tmcbean

RVF Newbee
We are experiencing repeated Tire Pressure Monitoring System failures have had one tire wear down to steel threads due to system failure any ideas or advice? 2021 American Dream 42v.

Which TPMS does your coach have? There are issues with some Coach manufacturers OEM TPMS.

I suggest at least visually inspecting tires before driving (probably how you finally noticed the issue) and checking pressure manually at least monthly. Im guessing this is an on-board OE type system since its a 2021 and not an aftermarket system.

If thats the case and its “failing” (not reading correctly?) then I would add an after-market system with a good reputation to verify readings from the factory system. I’ve read several discussions about factory TPMS systems reading incorrectly. If it’s not a factory system then I’d try some other brand.

But relying solely on a TPMS to confirm that your tire pressure is correct is not sufficient. In addition to visual checks, it‘s a good idea to “sound” the tires before driving by thumping on them all with something heavy to ensure they all sound the same. You’ll hear a dull thud if one is low - you’re just checking for a consistent sound. This is ok for a daily check (in addition to a visual check) but you should also check actual pressures routinely.

A full time trucker just suggested manually checking pressures monthly in another thread on tire failure. It is part of a weekly check check for fire apparatus. I haven’t been doing this since installing an aftermarket system as it would require me to remove the sensors every time (I should have selected flow-through sensors). Recent discussions on tires and tire failures have convinced me to go back to a more hands-on approach to tire pressure monitoring.

One of the things I do with my Tireminder is to choose the reset mode, where it zeros out all temp/PSI readings and takes 3-6 minutes for all the tires to report their current air pressure. I periodically also manually check, but before every drive, I zero out and get fresh readings. It's still possible, I suppose for a sensor to report a faulty reading, but at least I know that I've gotten a fresh read of all tires (assuming it isn't throwing anomalous values).

We are experiencing repeated Tire Pressure Monitoring System failures have had one tire wear down to steel threads due to system failure any ideas or advice? 2021 American Dream 42v.
So please explain how the TPMS failed.

Latest resources

Back