Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TimandJulie

RVF Newbee
Hi, new to the group and have a 1992 Crown Royal Motor Coach that has been parked since we purchased it and on land lock mode. We want to get it road ready, but are getting conflicting information about what type of training or license you need to drive it. It is a Class A. 40 feet. If anyone could let me know if they know Michigan laws; even their site is giving conflicting information!!! Thank you so much!

Hello,

Does your Coach weigh more than 26,001 pounds?

Does it carry hazardous cargo? Stale fish sticks in the freezer don't count for this.

Are you pulling a more than 10,000 pound trailer (Class A CDL required) or less than 10,000 pound trailer - Class B CDL required?

Are you carrying more than 16 people in commercial service?

Your state might have different, more stringent requirements.

Google "Vehicle CDL Requirements" for more information.

There's still a lot more to know. How high is your Coach? Do you know to look for bridge height BEFORE heading down a road?

Rick

If you're awake to constitutional law, and are knowledgeable in defending your constitutional rights, the following does not apply to you! However if you would rather go through life carefree this link will give you the information you request!!!

This is an interesting question. As a relatively studious operator of equipment I was surprised that no training is required here in Florida to drive a large RV.
You might get away with driving a Gas rig with a<26001 lb chassis and standard hydraulic brakes.
Step up to a Diesel Pusher and air brakes/suspension is in another league.
You don’t just get in. turn the key. and go.
A guy/gal can just show up in their Toyota and drive out of the dealership with a 60,000 lb rig. No training required.
Needless to say I have studied long hours and scheduled a Spartan Chassis training class just to get a basic understanding of how to operate the DutchStar.
To answer your question, go to the website of your states DMV and search for RV license requirements. You might be surprised. I was.

Different in every state. Whether required or not, in my mind RV driving school is a must. It is inexpensive, especially compared to the cost of repairs, from avoidable mistakes.

This is an interesting question. As a relatively studious operator of equipment I was surprised that no training is required here in Florida to drive a large RV.
You might get away with driving a Gas rig with a<26001 lb chassis and standard hydraulic brakes.
Step up to a Diesel Pusher and air brakes/suspension is in another league.
You don’t just get in. turn the key. and go.
A guy/gal can just show up in their Toyota and drive out of the dealership with a 60,000 lb rig. No training required.
Needless to say I have studied long hours and scheduled a Spartan Chassis training class just to get a basic understanding of how to operate the DutchStar.
To answer your question, go to the website of your states DMV and search for RV license requirements. You might be surprised. I was.
I was not surprised! Being a camp host during COVID opened my eyes. The horror stories I could tell! :(

Darrell

Training........ At the very minimum, air brake education should be at the top of your list if not already experienced. Air brake education should be mandatory in every state for inexperienced/new RVers driving a diesel pusher of any size! How many know how to check slack adjusters? How many know how to do a leak down test before starting the day on the road? How many know how to deal with a loss of air? Can you still press the treadle with an air loss? How many know what to do if your parking brake dynamites? Mandatory air brake education makes it safer for all of us.

Latest resources

Back