• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Trains

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I too enjoy trains, all kinds. I collect the old 3 rail Lionel trains made just after WWII. They are fascinating.

We love trains of all sizes, model to full-size. I still have my 1950 American Flyer train set that I received as a Christmas present that year. And, it still works. We have also ridden trains across Spain, the full length of Taiwan and across the US. They are a fun way to travel and give you a chance to see things from a different perspective than doing so on the highways.

TJ

This thread got me motivated. I'm going to the Strasburg Railway in Lancaster PA on October 2-3 to ride behind the N&W J Class 611 steam locomotive. This is the locomotive my grandmother took me to ride in the 80s and its still running there until the 3rd. My wife and daughter are playing along and riding with me on the 2nd. The following morning I'm taking a hosteling tour and a cab tour with the 611. After that I'll take mechanic shop tour. It seemed so simple in the 80s riding a train with my Grandmother when I was 9 but the significance to her was much greater. She was of the generation that watched steam trains run through town most of her life. When trains switched over to diesels it must have been nice to see the new technology but they weren't nostalgic like the steamers. The diesels were quieter, smaller and no huge plums of smoke and steam. There must have been something special about the steamers that made my Grandmother decide that I needed to see one and go on that ride. Now some almost 40 years later I'm going again. I wish she was still around to go with me!

Here's a video of the Bigboy 4014 that I took in D'Hannis, Texas. The video does not do it justice. The whistle was so loud that when it went by me my whole body felt it! DSCF3368.AVI
You can hear a helicopter following it and see the traffic that was following it too.

sorry for the shakey start!

The BigBoy will be stopping in Mexia Texas for a 45 minute layover mid August. We are bout 50 minutes from there and my wife and I were raised there. We will more than likely drive over to see it. Skipper

The BigBoy will be stopping in Mexia Texas for a 45 minute layover mid August. We are bout 50 minutes from there and my wife and I were raised there. We will more than likely drive over to see it. Skipper
It will be well worth it! 1.2 MILLION pounds of iron!

The Cumbres-Toltec… out of Chama, NM or Antonito, CO … we rode it a few years back, and now that we know more, plan to ride again in 2022.
To get the best seats, reserve several months ahead, but we snagged decent seats in the best car at the last minute, in September. GORGEOUS ride. Get valley side seats on every leg if you can, but if you can’t, it’s still great.

To get your mind off of current events, check this out:

WOW! The artistry is incredible! That's inspiring.

Latest resources

Back