• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

LauraScott

RVF Newbee
Hello fellow RVers!

My husband and I want to go RVing for a month this summer, and we both need to bring our laptops to check into work everyday. Can anyone recommend a good travel wifi device that is reliable even in remote areas? I found Travlfi and was wondering specifically about that device. My IT consultant suggested I check out an RV forum to see what you all use and recommend.

Thanks in advance,
Laura

Welcome @LauraScott. I'm a big fan of the Pepwave devices. It offers both Wi-Fi to bring in outside sources when available and broadcasts Wi-Fi in your RV. It also has cellular options for any cellular plans you want to use. A lot of people around here use them and they are rock solid and easy to use. There are other options such as devices from cellular carriers etc.

I'm also a big fan of Peplink devices for all the same reasons Neal outlined.
I would also encourage you to go to the Mobile Internet Resource Center website (the free section will suffice), to develop an understanding of what sort of technology is available. In addition to the technology discussions, I think they do a decent job of establishing reasonable expectations with internet connectivity while traveling in a RV.
Good luck in your search & safe travels.

I think you’ll find this video of help. If you need further guidance or advice, please contact me.

I think you’ll find this video of help. If you need further guidance or advice, please contact me.

I watched your video and find it informative, but I have a particular issue... I would like an Internet service I can use BOTH at home (stationary) and in the RV when we move around. What would be your solution?

I watched your video and find it informative, but I have a particular issue... I would like an Internet service I can use BOTH at home (stationary) and in the RV when we move around. What would be your solution?
Hmmm, let me make an assumption in order to address your question.

I'm assuming, by "service", you mean a "device" that will be portable in order to bring into your HOME, and then take on the road with you?

That's not a very optimum way of doing things, but I can understand why you may want to; money...and that's fine.

So, you have two device options:
1. Use a portable HotSpot, such as an Iseego 5G from T-Mobile. Can be a weaker source in spotty areas, or a densely constructed home, and can actually be just as expensive as home internet service via cable or fiber.

2. If you are stationary for a long time, you could use a mobile router such as a Pepwave or Cradlepoint, and just transport it from your home to RV whenever needed.

Both these solutions require a cellular data plan.

If I've misunderstood your question, and perhap you mean just pay for a single "service" you could use on the road OR at home, well again, you'd need a cellular router in your home. Then, you'd just take the SIM CARD out of the router you're leaving behind, and put it into the router you plan to use.

Latest resources

Back