RV Make
keystone
RV Model
Cougar 327 5th wheel
RV Length
38 ft
Fulltimer
No
I am traveling from Kentucky to Florida in May 2021, my 1st long trip pulling a 38ft 5th wheel. I am in no hurry and planning two one day overnight stops to break up the drive maybe 5 to 6 hours driving daily, not much on driving at night anymore. I will usually drive through Atlanta in a car and have been stuck several times for several hours in traffic.
I am considering driving I65 to Alabama, us 80 then driving US231 around Ross Clark Circle to I10. Many RV friendly gas stations on the way.
Has anyone traveled this route recently pulling a camper, any issues with low bridges or tight turns? I have seen only older post on this route.

My plans is to stop at Cullman campground in Alabama and Triple C in Florida picked from Rvtrip Wizard. I did not find many KOA's on this route. Any thought and opinions would be appreciated.
Heading to cape Canaveral and this route is about 70 miles longer versus I75 through Atlanta.

Thanks

I avoid Atlanta at all cost. I travel to Orlando a lot to see my kids from Tn and get on I65 at Cullman. I take a southern route to Montgomery Al and go down Hwy 231 through Dothan. There is a nice RV park that I stay at there to breakup the trip or one in Marianna.

Attachments

• 8D91F2C6-5031-4A6B-AF57-6A966B34A5D6.jpeg
    8D91F2C6-5031-4A6B-AF57-6A966B34A5D6.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 73D704C8-5B60-4130-950D-B077817B325F.jpeg
    73D704C8-5B60-4130-950D-B077817B325F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 619E0F96-1E90-4665-AB9A-E381E955CFE3.jpeg
    619E0F96-1E90-4665-AB9A-E381E955CFE3.jpeg
    887.6 KB · Views: 18
I would run I-65 all the way to Montgomery, then take US-231 south to I-10. Even if this route adds a few more miles you will avoid not only Atlanta but you will avoid some steep grades, and some other traffic. The downside is you have to go through Nashville. We generally stay in a campground in Clarksville and make the run through Nashville either Sunday morning or around 10am after the morning rush hour.

US-231 is about 95% 4-lane divided and almost all new pavement in the last several years. You will navigate through several small towns but we have always enjoyed going that route and continue to do so.

Key words..... I am in no hurry. It's not so much the destination, it's the trip you should enjoy. I would avoid going anywhere near Atlanta unless there is something close to there you want to visit. Traffic is almost always terrible.
We travel in a 40' diesel pusher, with a Cherokee toad. Probably about the same total length as you. Our biggest concerns consists of steep grades on narrow roads, low overhangs (we are a little of 13') & the worst of all............ arriving & setting up at a campsite after dark. Looking at the route you are proposing, I would not expect you to encounter any of the above with the exception arriving after dark.
Have a safe & enjoyable trip.

Latest resources

Back