catfishhoward

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Coachmen
RV Model
Catalina Legacy Edition
RV Length
I just moved into a 33' travel trailer in Crestview FL and have been hit with some thunder storms which have rocked the camper pretty bad. One evening they caled for 60 mph wind gust so I started thinking my F150 CrewCab might be a safer place to sleep for the night?

Any idea what wind gust could tip over this camper wilth all 3 slides out? Is the truck a safer place to wait out a high wind thunderstorm? How much more would it help if I hooked the truck up to the camper with the stabilizer bars in place during the storm? I’m afraid if the camper turns over it might turn over my truck as well if there hitched together.

forum 1.jpg
forum 1 (1).jpg
forum 1 (2).jpg

I can’t really answer your question but I’d offer that if you’re that concerned about it, jump in your truck and head to a hotel for the night. Your truck will most likely be fine and if you come back to a flipped camper in the morning, well that’s what insurance is for.

nice camper btw.

I would imagine levelers in place will help by giving more supports at the corners. Not something anyone wants to test and determine when this will occur of course. If in doubt take shelter.

If in doubt take shelter.
The absolutely best advice! Take all reasonable precautions with the trailer, but when you start to be in doubt about your safety, take shelter somewhere. It is a whole lot easier to fix or replace a trailer than it is a person.

TJ

I’d pull the slides in during high winds; it’ll save the slide toppers from getting torn. If possible, point your rig so the prevailing wind does not hit it broadside.

The AZ desert sees 70mph winds on occasion. Seldom if ever will one flip no matter the direction. However humid air at 70mph is a different beast. Slides in is great advice, most in the desert consider that better than the cleanup after the storm.

Latest resources

Back