• Friendliest RV community on the web

Strider

RVF Regular
TOW/TOAD
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45 Longbed Pickup Truck
Fulltimer
No
Howdy!
So I am approaching a decision in the not too distant future. May have to boondock for a bit until I can resolve some issues and hopefully get a little piece of land and put in a little cabin and a workshop.

Looks like I may wind up with my old Land Cruiser HJ45 as my daily driver for now. I have an FJ Cruiser, but that may be lost. Don't know yet.
Right now my HJ is a snail with a 4 speed manual and a very wimpy diesel engine. Plans are for a resto-mod, to swap in a 5 speed manual, a better Toyota diesel (like a 1HZ), modern suspension (like Old Man Emu BP51s and parabolic springs, power steering, and recaro seats.
This Land Crusier is intended to do off road trips and be fully independent, so it will get a lightweight DIY camper box on the bed with an AluCab type pop-up that has the bed. It will have a fridge/freezer inside, and a way to cook, shower, etc. You can look up 4XOverland to see a similar setup but with a modern LC 70 series instead of a 45.

So...

Here's what I am considering, with the HJ45 getting all the above.
I plan on perhaps having to boondock at first, and/or get a spot at an RV park during working months.
I have two dogs: One about 50lbs, the other about 20lbs.
I am also a writer and an artist. While working on writing, illustration, and animation is easily doable in a camper, working on things like leather projects etc. is a bit more complicated due to tools, materials, things like glues, sewing machine, leather stain, etc.

OPTION 1.
Get a Casita or similar trailer, like the 16 foot one.
This would allow me to travel longer distances and to "live" in it for a while.
The truck camper idea will allow me to also live in it, but this would only work for adventure travel, as daily living would be a bit much in that.

OPTION 2.
Get a box/cargo trailer. Set it up as a workshop with big fold open windows. Maybe have it also as a sort of living room, like a Casita, but sleep in the truck. this would have the advantage of having tools set up and also materials, etc.

I would like to be able to do all sorts of camping, including winter camping. Drive to Alaska, etc.

I want to eventually have a little cabin and a workshop on a piece of land, but would still want to do the traveling.

Right now the HJ is in need of the upgrades mentioned above, as well as to be rewired (turn signals are not working correctly) but I have no choice. Seems like the logical solution is something like a Casita, as I can at least park it at an RV park and drive the HJ to work. Can't restore it until I have another vehicle and a place to work. I could, possibly, find an RV place near my job and walk there, and maybe rent a space where I can restore my HJ.
Sometimes seems insurmountable. Big mess right now. But I have little choice.

Just hoping for some insight-maybe someone will com up with an idea that just eludes me due to the stress.

Thanks.

Latest resources

Back