Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
On this trip across the country to Colo. we have slowed down and reduced miles driven each day.
First stop was two nights to sort out any issues, 250 miles and one night stay, 220 miles and two night stay, etc. slowing down the trip allows us to arrive refreshed and ready for the Newmar International week of festivities.
Takes a little longer but we enjoy the trip.

Just our thought.

@Joe Hogan

Enjoy your trip to the International! We are not going to make it this year! Medical issues dictate otherwise.

The "250 miles" a day is a great average! We do about the same. Some days 180-200, others 250-280, and are not tired out at the end of the day, as well as having adequate time to set-up! We seem to enjoy the travel more by doing it this way, and no longer, push, push, push, just to get somewhere! That's the beauty and joy of owning a fantastic RV!!:cool:

Someday, if/when “work” isn’t part of the daily routine it would be nice to take the travel at a slower pace.
In the meantime I can just dream and imagine…

WOW! guess I'm to goal oriented. If I gotta travel 500 miles to enjoy the destination, 500 is my daily drive plan! Anything over 500 has an overnight, but with no plan to set-up.

Give me that day I would be behind the wheel, to be lounging, and resting up for the event, or whatever!!!

I could see it both ways, depending on what else I see to do along the way!!!

since retirement, we always follow the 200/2 rule, 200 miles and landing gear down by 2pm, depending on park locations, some days are less, some a little more.

With the kids, it takes us 7-8 hours to go 265 miles. I wouldn't mind getting that down to 5-6 hours.

On this trip across the country to Colo. we have slowed down and reduced miles driven each day.
First stop was two nights to sort out any issues, 250 miles and one night stay, 220 miles and two night stay, etc. slowing down the trip allows us to arrive refreshed and ready for the Newmar International week of festivities.
Takes a little longer but we enjoy the trip.

Just our thought.
Good for you. Since we began our full time travels we adopted a similar manor. Since we try to stay away from Interstates we measure our trips by time. Three to four hours is the usual. Sometimes that's only 100 miles. Check in times are usually 1:00 PM ish so if we arrive around 2:00 PM the office is usually not busy and the operator probably has had time the refresh the site if needed. We can get set up (which doesn't take us long) then if we need to so any shopping or just have a look around we have plenty of time. We like our life on the slow road.

Darrell

We travel between 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM.
Usually only 3 hours of actual driving.
I used to like going fast. Now I just want to be comfortable.

Usually a maximum of six hours. 11:00 to 4 or 5:00.

Was inspired by all the stories of taking a slower pace, so on the most recent trip instead of driving 6-8 hrs a day “to get there asap”, we took 10 days to go the 1800 miles.
Realized that this smaller bite sized travel plan is not for us. Neither one of us liked taking that long to get to our desired location. We would rather drive long days and get there, then fully unpack for a couple weeks/month to feel settled in and explore the new location.

Latest resources

Back