Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

donzoh1

RVF Regular
I'm thinking of buying a used Class C and many of the ones I've seen have the Triton V10. I understand some early ones (before 2002) had a tendency to blow out their spark plugs, but this may have been partly due to over torque on installation. Does anyone know how likely this is to be a problem and what to look for on a used one? Also, what is typical for mileage and do the Airtabs make any difference in economy?

unfortunately Ford used only a few threads to secure the plugs in the early modular engines, including the 6.8L V10. Either poor maintenance or heat cycles loosened the plugs and consequently they became a projectile.
There is a fix that does not require the head to be removed. Can be accomplished in about 15 minutes per plug on average.
It appears that the rear plugs near the firewall may be more of a challenge.

Miealage on my 2016 V10 engine on a 30 ft C was 8.5-9.5 mpg, which was on the high end. It had the aerodynamic cab. Uussually figure 6-10 mpg. I don't have ant experience with the tabs.

unfortunately Ford used only a few threads to secure the plugs in the early modular engines, including the 6.8L V10. Either poor maintenance or heat cycles loosened the plugs and consequently they became a projectile.
There is a fix that does not require the head to be removed. Can be accomplished in about 15 minutes per plug on average.
It appears that the rear plugs near the firewall may be more of a challenge.

that’s a neat little repair kit. my bet is you could do that repair on the road with a small compressor and angle drill plus basic tools. it would be easier at home tho.

Miealage on my 2016 V10 engine on a 30 ft C was 8.5-9.5 mpg, which was on the high end. It had the aerodynamic cab. Uussually figure 6-10 mpg. I don't have ant experience with the tabs.
thanks for that response. we rented a 2019 and probably did close to the same. i was also wondering whether the older tritons would get about the same as i have seen some around 20 years old.

Anything that old would probably need a lot of work from the ground up. Unless you must, I would not trust anything that old.

My 2012 triton v10, 43,000 miles, gets 8.1 mpg on fairly flat ground. And that's with the wife driving 40% of the time.

Anything that old would probably need a lot of work from the ground up. Unless you must, I would not trust anything that old.
I am willing and able to do the work, either drive train or interior rehab. I got a bit scared though driving the rental that had maybe 20K miles on it. Going up a hill, the transmission overheated or something and I had to give it a 15 minute rest. Then again, the dealership had left the fluid a bit low so that could have been an issue.

On the earlier mod V10’s there was a design issue on the heads not having enough depth for the spark plugs. This allowed a few threads of the plug th be inside the combustion chamber. With use carbon would build up on the the threads and when you tried to remove the plug the carbon would damage the head. One way to get around that was to loosen the plug a 1/4 turn then pour a carbon cleaner around the plug and let sit, then repeat to loosen the carbon, then remove the plug.

they have since then fix the head on the newer models and that is no longer a problem.

Latest resources

Back