RV Year
RV Make
SportTrek
RV Model
ST282VRL
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ram 1500 3.0 Diesel
I just recently got back into the rving. the RV that I got weights 6500 lbs. when I hook it up to my Ram 1500 the rear of the truck squats down about 4". I was thinking about getting airbags for it but the Video's that I watched said that the airbags were not the answer and recommended the equalizer sway control hitch. will this hitch raise my truck back up?Thank you in advance.

Two things you should probably do; check the trailer tongue weight and redistribute the load in the trailer if it exceeds 10% of trailer weight, and get an equalizer hitch. I would never tow even a small travel trailer without a good equalizer hitch.

TJ

Last edited:
I highly recommend an Equalizer and Sway Bar Hitch for your truck and RV. It will help level your rig and keep you safer in high winds. It will save your life.

I have just installed my first air bags. With the wifi and onboard compressor. And my initial but not really hard tested view is its a huge addition. I pull a variety of trailers with this truck so the onboard compressor and controls are a big plus if your only pulling one trailer you could get by with just the air bags which are 40% of the costs

I’m pulling a 28 foot 6500 pound trailer with a GMC Canyon its a small truck trailer has a good load leveler and anti sway bar. Which is in fact enough to make the overall handling decent on the little truck.I have enough rear sag that I didnt like it. The truck specs at 7770 tow capacity so I’m not over its weight but its for sure squated down and the only stuff i can move rearward is stuff I dont want in the trailer my outdoor goods for when I camp. I also am tinkering with a purple mattress which will ad more weight right up front.

With air bags i am able to get my stationary truck height very close to before the trailer on it height and it has taken away the bounce it gets on certain roads at highway speeds so air bags were a big help.

Now my cost on the components was $800 and I shopped pretty hard for that price most places were around $1000 plus installation which wasn’t had but I also own an automotive shop so I have lifts air tools and the mechanical skills to do so. Would a $1200 set of air bags be worth it in your case I dont know.

Things to help you get there is to measure your front wheel well height from the ground at the center line of the wheel before and after the trailers on it if its changed a lot I’d say yes. I think in the load levelling instructions most are probably hoping to be less than 1/2” of raise here more than that and your front wheels are not making the contact needed for steering and braking in emergency situations. more than an inch or so and you’ll find its wandering all over the place and can develop a death sway condition that occurs when the front suspension is way off.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back